Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thahalibut

any ideas for a long blooming plant/tree/bush?

thahalibut
15 years ago

I am looking for a plant that will bloom a long time. I am in zone 9 & it will be in full sun. It must be able to take afternoon sun. 4'- 8' tall. I would prefer an evergreen bush. But I am open to any ideas. No vines, or roses.

Thanks

Tim

Comments (13)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

East coast or West coast?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Oops! I forgot which forum I was reading.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Knockout Rose blooms March to freeze.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

Crape Myrtle?

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

Not sure of evergreen plants that also bloom, but lantana is hardy in your zone and virtually evergreen. It comes in a variety of colors and likes the sun and heat.

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

glossy abelia (abelia x grandiflora) comes to mind.
    there are different cultivars available which have variegated foliage and/or non-white flowers.
    i like the shrub and so do butterflies and bees.

• thahalibut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Crape Myrtle is the only one I already had in mind. The lantana & abelia are great ideas! I have been looking up different cultivators. This will keep me googling for a while.

Thanks

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I planted the smaller abelia cultivar ('Rose Creek') last year at my friend's house. It has done great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Abelia gold medal winners

• Donna
    15 years ago

You don't want much, do you? :)
    Butterfly bush would fill the order although it's not evergreen.
    I really enjoy chaste tree (vitex). It can be grown as a large shrub or pruned into tree form. It has beautiful foliage and blooms in flushes throughout the summer. It is not evergreen. Is the right size.

I know you said no roses, but the truth is there is no other shrub (to my knowledge) that blooms longer in our hot weather. The new Double Red Knockout is a truly beautiful shrub and it blooms continuously. (To my eye, it's a deep rose red, but that's just me.)

Don't forget colorful foliage. Loropetalum would be a good candidate for you. It has purple foliage in the spring and early summer, blue green foliage in summer, and then has red/orange leaves in the fall. It is evergreen. It blooms heavily in spring and fall in our area. And now, there are many sizes available, though some of the original large ones are what you want. Plum Delight is an especially nice one, I think, but they're all good.

Oak Leaf hydrangea is a great shrub that fits your size requirements. Although not technically evergreen, the new leaves of spring are pushing off the old ones most years here. The blooms are spectacular in June, but it has great foliage all year that turns brilliant red and orange in fall and winter, and it has peeling bark too. It's a goodie.

It's hard to beat old fashioned Nandina for year round interest, although its blooms are probably the least of it. It's evergreen, has beautiful lacy foliage that turns brilliant red in fall and winter, white blooms in spring, and those gorgeous red berries in winter.

There are a number of great hollies that get the size you want. Again, no flowers, but they have everything else you could want (except the stickers, of course).

Good luck on your search. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as the "perfect" plant. They all have their assets, but no one has them all.

• thahalibut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am only asking for the best. :-). Butterfly bush? I planted Peacock, purple emperor, & white ball a few months ago, so I dont need any more of those. I didnt want a rose because we have about 50, & thats enough, lol. But I am getting a Double Red Knockout for a different spot. I also have all the hydrangeas I want for now. We have several nandinas too. I need to look your other suggestions up. Thanks so much! I should also add that this plant is going at the front door, so it must look nice all year.

Thanks!

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

You may be able to eek by with Four O'Clocks in your area. Those bloom forever from us and come up from seeds and as perennials in our yard.

• Blooming_annie
    15 years ago

I don't have any personal experience to share with this but have been considering planting a "Four Seasons" Gardenia specifically for its long bloom time. There isn't much about them online but there a couple of online sources. Just don't know how true to the claims it is.

• tak2w
    15 years ago

Oleander

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists