Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
knockout rose bush

Posted by moisha 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 12:27

my niece gave me a knockout rose last year. I was amazed, this spring with all the beautiful blooms. Now there is not a single bud on the bush. It just stopped budding out. It is very healthy looking, gets a lot of sun, and water. Should I feed it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: knockout rose bush

Sometimes it takes a year or two to adjust while it builds a good root structure. I wouldn't feed it much if any until maybe early fall and then treat it next early spring as a more mature and settled in plant and feed it accordingly.
I don't know if KO's are like regular roses that benefit by deadheading the spent blooms but you might try that next year after the first bloom.

o

I have a knockout rose hedge. What you experienced is the 1st flush of flowers -- gorgeous wasn't it? Knockout roses are "self-cleaning" -- they will eventually drop their old brown blossom heads but if you do it for them they will re-bloom quicker. I use Bayer Advanced Systemic liquid on my roses. You can apply it 4 times during the year (5 times if you have sandy soil like I do). It fertilizes, protects against bugs & disease. I try to time my applications so that when the Japanese Beetles come out the roses are already protected. Hope this info helps!

o

We don't do anything to our KO's except cut off the dead flowers, and trim for shape in the spring. Some bloom constantly, some bloom in spurts. Try burying (just enough dirt over it to keep fruit flies off) a banana peel near the base of your bush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here