Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiny40

Evergreen or Perennial

tiny40
15 years ago

My husband cut down a tree that was in the corner flowerbed of our back yard. We need something to replace it. Because of health issues, he needs something that requires very little care (insect resistant) but that will not be dormant in the winter. This is in East Texas in a location that gets part sun, part shade. I prefer something that flowers for a long time, or has pretty folliage. We have primarily sandy soil. He thought about a variegated privet, but I believe these get too large. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• bullthistle
    15 years ago

There are plenty of varities of dwarf crapemyrtles, but they are deciduous so you could always go with a dwarf contorted spruce or pine or whatever is hardy for your zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

Not sure how big you want it to get. I like camellias, they are evergreen but do not bloom year round, but rather in fall or winter which is a plus, to me. I also have a Little Gem Magnolia, it is evergreen with very shiny leaves, blooms in early summer or late spring. It is not huge like the Southern magnolia. There is also a "banana magnolia" which smells so good. Not sure of the latin name.
    What about hollies that are evergreen and have berries?

• Donna
    15 years ago

The banana magnolia referred to above is Michelia, or banana shrub. It is a large evergreen (8' high by about 5 feet wide) that blooms throughout the summer. The blooms aren't all that showy, but they do smell wonderful. It is a nice shrub, if you have room for it.

If you want a long season of bloom, you cannot beat hydrangeas, especially the new repeat bloomers. I have both Endless Summer and Blushing Bride and they are wonderful. They are setting blooms now and will go until frost. They are not, however, evergreen. I underplant them with bulbs to give winter and spring interest (specifically Arum Italicum Pictum and daffodils and snowdrops).

Oakleaf hydrangeas are fabulous shade shrubs. They aren't technically evergreen, but mine keep their leaves nearly all winter long. Their blooms are spectacular, they are neat, carefree, and have gorgeous fall/winter foliage. They can get on the large size but are easy to keep smaller with an annual pruning right after they bloom.

I have two kinds of variegated Osmanthus (holly leaved osmanthus) that are gorgeous evergreens for shade: Goshiki (green, yellow, and pinkish variegation), and Variegata (green leaves with creamy white margins). You will probably have to mail order them, but I love them in my partly shaded borders.

I agree with the suggestion for camellias too. They are wonderful shady border evergreens. And, of course, don't forget azaleas.

• kathyinalabama
    15 years ago

Sweet Olive would be my suggestion. Very nice evergreen foliage and while the blooms are very small, they are VERY fragrant. It's a fabulous tree/shrub!

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet olive

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz