Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregejohnson

southern magnolias

gregejohnson
13 years ago

Hi all,

My name is Greg. I'm from the foot hills of the white mountains in Maine. I am insanely jealous of you all who get to grow southern magnolias. I have been trying to get my hands on some for years now with no success. I have had some sweetbay magnolias for many years now and I know of some people in Massachusetts who have had managed to grow the plant. Mass isn't that much warmer than Maine is. I really want to give this a try. If anyone in the south would be willing to send rooted branches or seedlings I have four rooted hydrangeas (Hydrangea Paniculata). They are fantastic flower clusters going from creamy white to dark red if your soil is acidic enough otherwise they turn pink like most shrub hydrangeas.

Comments (12)

• alex_7b
    13 years ago

You realize though, that these normally grow where the ground doesn't freeze.

• User
    13 years ago

Greg, I grow seven different varieties of M. grandiflora (Little Gems, Bracken's Brown, Majestic Beauty, Teddy Bear, Edith Bogue, Victoria, and Green Back. They seem to be more commonly available than in years past locally speaking. My ground freezes for limited periods of the winter (to varying depth depending on the year), but there are frequent thaws and rain as well. Most of the hardier cultivars are good to zone 6b. North of this, I would containerize the plant and try to protect them in the winter.

P.S., agree with you on your fondness with both M. grandiflora and Hydrangea.

• gregejohnson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all
    the frost here is wicked deep, usually 4 to 5 foot, and persists. I've just gotta get my head out of the clouds.
    thanks again,
    Greg

• User
    13 years ago

If you really have your heart set on one, I suggest you get yourself the variety "Little Gem" and containerize it. They do well in containers and are relatively dwarf and slower growing than many other varieties. This particular variety is also well known for having a very long bloom period--would you believe anywhere from May well into October if the climate suits it! You would have to protect from hard frost though--remember, all trees and shrubs are less cold hardy in containers than in the ground (though you won't be grow Little Gems in the ground in anything lower than about zone 7). If you have a cool, bright location that is protected from hard freezes, that'll do for the container. Good luck!

• buford
    13 years ago

I was going to recommend Little Gem in a pot. I bought mine potted and they are about 8 feet high now and they bloom beautifully. They suffered the first few years because of our drought situation, but are very green and glossy now. They just had their first bloom and made it through a cold (for us) winter beautifully. You could probably keep them to a small size through pruning.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Try to be thankful for what we can't grow: delphiniums, lilacs, columbines, and a whole lot of plants that I can't recall or don't know exist down here.

And, I have to say, hydrangeas (all kinds) are a dime a dozen here. The easiest plant to root and grow so you might have to offer something more exotic to the Southerners than a hydrangea. How 'bout a lilac? No Miss Kims please!!! The real deal, though we can grow it as well you will a Magnolia.

• buford
    13 years ago

I've just had my best year with my lilacs. I planted them 5 years ago and they've bloomed a bit. I'm not sure if they are maturing or the extra cold winter helped, but they all bloomed very well this spring.

I did see some Miss Kim lilacs when I went to Chicago. They are nice, but more suited to hedging than what I remember as a lilac bush.

• User
    13 years ago

It was the time!--Still waiting for mine to bloom. They take a while to bloom from planting. Nice thing about zone 7 is that you can have your crape myrtles, magnolias, and lilacs, and peonies.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Lilacs don't grow well in my zone 7 area.
    I've never seen a real one.

• User
    13 years ago

Not all zone 7's are created equal, must be the moral of the story.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

I'd be happy finding lupine that will grow here in the South. Grows like a weed 'up Nawth'.

• gregoryelmorejohnson_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Lupines, hydrangeas, and rose of sharon all bloomed about a month and a half early up here. snow was gone by april and everything had a jump start. it's been a wicked good growing season for the veggies and especially for the squash and pumpkins.

To Bumblebees. Thanks for the thought. Though delphiniums are more trouble than they are worth! The first thunderstorm of the year is usually the last for them. I do love lilacs, I didn't realize they didn't do well in the south. In northern maine it's the only shrub people can grow. I kid you not it's lilacs and potatoes. I figured something that could live in the tundra of aroostook would do well anywhere. Is it just not cold enough for them to go dormant ? Also does Seneca have a nuclear power plant or am I imagining this?
    Well two more years of school then off to a milder climate for me!

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor