Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atlanta_gardener

Anyone growing lavender?

atlanta_gardener
19 years ago

Hi all, I'm attempting to plant a "cottage style" garden in Atlanta and I was just wondering...has anyone grown lavender successfully in the south? I really like 'Hidcote' but I'm not sure how it will hold up. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments (14)

• scgardener
    19 years ago

Have grown it for years, but I've got no idea what kind of lavender it is.

I have no problems, and I'm close to Columbia, SC.

• kdenise
    19 years ago

I am in Marietta, and got some Spanish Lavender from HD a couple of months ago because the cute little "butterfly" flowers on it were so appealing. It is planted in a Salvia and Coneflower bed, though, so doesn't need as much water as other combinations.
    The 2 plants are doing well, starting on its second flowering after finishing the blooms on it when I purchased it.
    Lots of sun needed!

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

In Charleston, I have had good luck with Spanish Lavender (the plant is several years old) and laceleaf (or maybe fernleaf). They both do well fo rme and have been blooming for a couple of months. The spanish is in the ground which is very sandy and doesn't hold water at all. I never directly water it but it gets runoff from the raised bed behind it.

• leubafr
    19 years ago

I am growing HD Spanish Lavender here in Louisiana. It is doing just fine. It loves the hot sun and humidity. I have it in a bed that does not get too much attention; therefore, I usually forget to water it. Looking good from my point of view.

• josephine_sc
    19 years ago

I've got acidic heavy clay loam which lavender hates. I've had much better luck growing it in a fast draining potting mix in large concrete containers than I have in the ground. It likes the lime that leaches from the concrete. Mine is in full sun against a wooden fence and I only water it when it looks like it's actually suffering.

• chattahoochee
    19 years ago

I have Hidcote, Munstead and Spanish Lavender in Atlanta and they all seem to be doing fine. They're planted in a perennial/rose/cottage type of garden. Hidcote is about a year old and it looks great!

• ParrotParent
    19 years ago

I've got some in Charleston too. No name variety from some box store last year is just finishing flowering. Poor thing is still in a little 6" clay pot so it hasn't grown impressively, and it struggled last year because it was so small and neglected (my fault), but it came back vigorously and bloomed with just regular watering.

Got two of a different variety this year, and they're filling out in pots while I decide on a permanent location. Sun until about 2:00, Miracle Gro potting mix, and the darned things have doubled or tripled in size since March. Need to bump them up or plant them soon!

• Archduke
    19 years ago

The variety 'Munstead' and the basic English lavender both grow extremely well for me here. I wouldn't be without these plants.

• botnnie
    19 years ago

I have English lavender, too. I started it from a 5" pot last summer and it's over a foot wide and has been blooming all summer. I have a few others, not sure which ones, but they haven't done as well. I think they aren't getting enough sun.

• david7a_ga
    19 years ago

I read that Spanish lavender does a little better in the Atlanta climate. It seems very happy in a raised bed.

• ellenfix
    19 years ago

I planted Hidcotes and it bloomed and expanded beautifully for 3 years. It was in sandy, concrete-laden soild up against my brick house in full sun. But then a nearby crepe myrtle got too big and this summer it received mostly shade during the day. I pruned it because I heard that it could often cause a second flush of blooms but -- alas -- conditions weren't right and it has died except for a small patch that reaches outward from the house. Odd situation I guess: full sun in winter and spring, then shade during summer.

• ShadyGrove5
    19 years ago

I have Grosso growing for 3 years now. They overwinter with no additional help and have bloomed beautifully each year with a second bloom coming on after pruning. They are in a roadside bed in full sun, so maybe the asphalt keeps them warm in the winter. The foliage is similar to English lavender and gray-green in color. The plants are big and bushy and are in a companion planting with Arp variety rosemary. I've killed a lot of other varieties of lavender, but Grosso just keeps going.

• giftchoice1_truvista_net
    12 years ago

I live in the Piedmont area of South Carolina. Bougt a container of "Ellagance Sky" Lavender from WalMart. Planted in well drained, sunny area. Half of it died-the rest is green. Planted in loamy soil, added potting mix, has some pine needles in the area. Don't know when & how much to water it!!

Sponsored