Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheri_ms

Aucuba Japonic or Spotted Laurel

Sheri_MS
18 years ago

First, I am new to gardening and this website and have very much enjoyed reading other postings.

My sister has several large bushes which I love. After some internet research, I am 99% sure that they are spotted laurel bushes. They want to get rid of two of them because they are putting in a gate. I would like to dig them up and replant them at my house. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically, how deep and wide might their roots run? They are about four feet tall by three feet wide. Also the area where I want to plant them gets more sun than where they are now, but it's not full sun all day. Will they be okay there?

Help!!!

Comments (2)

• K
    18 years ago

If they're aucuba, they will grow almost anywhere. Also, it might be easier to cut some branches and root them to make your own bushes. They root in water very easily.

• rivers1202
    18 years ago

Yes, aucuba are tough and will grow almost anywhere, as carolinakate said. BUT, if they receive much more sun in their new position than they're used to, the leaves may scorch and turn black. Not ALL the leaves, but ones which take the brunt of the extra sunlight. They are easy to transplant. Just make sure you get enough of the root ball and water well once they're in the ground. My mother gave me 4 of her aucuba shrubs that were roughly the same size that you mentioned - 4x3. They transplanted soooo easily and they're currently growing like gangbusters! Enjoy.