Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All about Cat Whiskers?

Posted by ElizabethO 8b/9a SE TX (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 05 at 13:48

I have wanted to try this plant for several years.

What would be the best location for it? Full Sun, and what is the ultimate size of the plant.

Will is come back from root after a winter freeze?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All about Cat Whiskers?

• Posted by ccl38 8A Savannah, GA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 16, 05 at 10:32

I have had this two differen times and it has not been winter hardy for me.

o

Cat's Whiskers is one of my favorite annuals. On rare occassions when planted in a very protected spot it may survive a mild winter. From experience it grows best in high dappled shade or morning sun, afternoon shade. Every fall I root enough for the next year in a glass of water. Very often it will grow roots in a week or less using this method and will remain happily in water for about two months. Then I pot the cuttings, set them in an east window until planting time. Grows about 36" tall in rich soil. Slow to grow to blooming stage. Give it plenty of time to mature. Keep deadheading and pinching.

o

Thank you ccl38 and Nandina. I guess it's good new bad news.

If I'm very careful I might save it through a mild winter, but it is an annual (which I did not know). But I can take cuttings which I like. I might even take cuttings over the summer anyway to multiply my plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here