Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thunderkitten

Columbine

thunderkitten
12 years ago

Hello, I live in SE Kentucky and have a question about columbine, I'm not sure about the variety, but when I bought this particular plant it was in a 2 gallon pot, about 2 feet tall, and blooming profusely.

My husband decided it was time to plant it and put it in the ground in bad spot without my knowledge. When I prepared the place I wanted it, I dug it back up and replanted it. It gets morning and partial afternoon sun and late afternoon/evening shade.

We've had torrential rainfall this year and from what I can tell, columbines do not enjoy heavy rain. I've been skipping over it and only watering every other time (during times of no rainfall), and I fertilize every 2 weeks with off-brand miracle gro. I also dead-head and remove sickly looking leaves.

At this point all the leaves are looking sickly. It's still blooming wonderfully and has been all spring/early summer but the vegetation is turning to a sickly yellow color. My soil isn't the best (kentucky red clay) but we've applied top-soil as well as potting mix. It's in the same bed as my roses and the roses are doing wonderfully. I really don't know what I should do or if re-planting is what happened to it. Can I get some pointers on how to care for this beautiful girl and get her back to feeling better?

Comments (4)