Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stropharia

tiny caterpillar infestation!

stropharia
12 years ago

Hi all, this isn't necessarily a strictly gardening-related question, but I'm trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes one. The last couple days, I've been noticing these tiny caterpillars inside my house. Today, I found a HUGE grouping of them out the outside of my house, next to a gap in the wall that they've obviously infiltrated. They're quite a nuisance, dropping down our heads on little threads, like a silk worm or spider. Also, my girlfriend thinks one may have stung/bitten her, but we're not sure about that.

The caterpillars are very small, perhaps 1-2 cm long. They are yellow, with black bands running around their body. With a magnifying glass, I can see that the black bands are actually made up of many black dots next to each other. Also, they look smooth to the naked eye, but up close I can see that they're somewhat hairy.

Does anyone know anything about these creatures? They're so small, I imagine they'd be hard for me to photograph, but I can try to get a picture if necessary.

Thanks for any help!

Comment (1)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

You might have better/faster results using google. Unlikely your girlfriend was intentionally injured but the hairs on many caterpillars can be irritating when they get into the skin.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?