Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunchick157

Desert Rose

sunchick157
10 years ago

I bought a desert rose several years ago and had it in a container near my salt pool. It grew like a bush and bloomed all the time without incident until I lost it in the severe cold weather. We moved to the other side of town and I liked it so much I bought two more and place them in containers as well in direct sun. They grow more upright and have a bulb like base instead, but they both bloomed beautifully the first year, one more than the other. I place them in my sunroom all winter and then put them ouside when the temps stabilized. The pink and white one has gotten all it's leaves back and is beginning to bud, even though that is the one that didn't bloom as much the first year. The other is red. It gets blooms and then they fall off. Every time the leaves come on they turn yellow and fall off. I read that it might be too wet (I water once a week), so the suggestion was (per internet) that I take it out of the container, rinse off the dirt and let it sit for a week and replant with good drainage, which I am in the midst of doing. I see that the bulb is almost two bulbs and it's length is about 14". Can I cut in the center of the almost 2 bulbs or will that kill the plant? Is that how big they normally get? My first one wasn't nearly that large and yet it branched out beautifully just like an azalea. This one is more tree like with a round bulb at the base. Not sure how these things are propagated. Hopefully, once I replant this desert rose the leaves will stay green & once again be beautiful. Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!