Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyellen602

new house needs landscaping (pics)

amyellen602
16 years ago

(I hope I am posting in the right forum. If I am not please tell me where to go.)

We've been in our new home since October and have yet to do much with the landscaping. We have added a few shrubs and annuals in the backyard, but nothing to the front. I love the idea of a french country garden, but am unsure of how to execute it. I also would like to have some hanging ferns on the front porch. Do you think this would be too much? I would greatly appreciate any input.

{{gwi:32116}}

Comments (6)

• buford
    16 years ago

You do need some foundation shrubs. Boxwoods or hollies if you can deal with the prickly leaves.

I could put either a tall crepe myrtle or Japanese Maple in front of the double window, and maybe some knockout roses in front of the other window.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Drive around and see what you like and then find out what those things are. Now that it is late spring/early summary, it will be better to wait until fall to plant any trees and shrubs as it will be too stressful on them (and a lot of watering work for you) to plant anything now. Plus there will be a lot better selection of plants at the nurseries then and it will give you time to research.

You also need to spend some time determining if the area(s) get is in full sun (6+ hours of direct sun), part shade (4-6 hours) or shade. You need to know that in order to evaluate if the plants you pick are appropriate. No sense plunking down things that want full sun into a shady spot. Better to choose something that does well in shade to begin with.

If you want a french country garden, spend some time determining what plants fit that style. Boxwoods generally create formal shapes (round blobs, trimmed squares) so they may not fit that design. Do you want vase-shaped shrubs, full round shrubs, evergreen, deciduous (these lose their leaves in winter), etc. I think the style of the house supports the goal of a french country garden ... are low fences included in that style?

You can even get "landscape" software that allows you to scan in that photo and try different placements of trees and shrubs to see if the look is "right" for you.

There is a landscape design forum on garden web, but you can usually get lots of answers from opinionated folks in the regional forums too. Being in zone 8 gives you a lot of plant choices. What state are you in?

Here is a link that might be useful: Book about French Country Gardens

• amyellen602
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your advice. I am in SE Louisiana. I am pretty much open to anything. I love the look of different textures and variations in colors. I think evergreens would ideal.

We will be putting in an "informal" walkway, probably a staggered flagstone with pea gravel, from the front door to the carport. In your opinion what would be a good shrub to anchor the walkway by the porch.

Thanks again.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

I can't quite visualize what you are describing in order to comment on what would be a good shrub to anchor the walkway.

You will certainly have lots of choices in SE Louisiana and it might help to narrow them by determining what you want in a shrub besides being evergreen. Flowers, fragrance, height, width, wet/dry .... Don't pick something that you'll have to prune a lot unless you like that sort of chore.

Your foundation is not unattractive. Don't feel that you have to "cover it up" with a mass of evergreen shrubs. Think more of pursuing your goal to have a certain look and let that guide your choices.

• kaky
    16 years ago

You will probably want to leave plenty of space "inside" your walkway, between the house and the walk. ... Have a look around the landscape design forum or do a search for "foundation plantings" to see how often the "opinionated folks" suggest moving and redirecting walkways to leave more space for plantings. ... Seriously, I've expanded my planting beds three or four times.

• rdillem
    16 years ago

A trip to the library sounds in order. Also keep in mind that it is soon going to be too hot to do any major landscaping. Well, you can do it but its really stressful on the plants. Spend the summer reading, looking at other gardens in your area, observing the patterns of the sun, talking to people who have gardens you admire. Develop your ideas with the goal of starting to plant this fall. For now you could put some hanging baskets or pots of annuals in the front for color and accent, but the major landscaping needs some time to develop. Also look at how you use the space, traffic patterns etc. Mostly, have fun. Bob

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor