Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thea611

Want to talk to other New Englanders who've moved to SC

thea611
17 years ago

We're getting ready to put our house in CT on the market, we're tired of the high cost of living in our state, and we hate the winters! We looked at the Beaufort, SC area and liked the old town very much, but not the areas where we could afford to live, so on the drive home we stopped in Santee, and liked the area, and it's affordable. Just wondering how other New Englanders have adapted to the climate, and how y'all like it down there? We don't have kids (we're retired) so don't have to worry about school systems. We DO like to garden, so I'm going to find this forum helpful in getting used to gardening in such different conditions! Please let me hear from you!!!!

Comments (11)

• buford
    17 years ago

Well, I'm from NY and now live in north Georgia. Close enough!!

First of all, you are going to love it down here. Everything that anyone says about southern hospitality is true. I now know why everyone thinks Nykers are rude, because in comparison, we really are.

Between the lower housing cost, milder weather and relaxed attitude, it makes a huge difference.

Because of the longer hotter summer, gardening is different. Your daffodils will likely bloom in mid March and you can plant almost any time during the year. I remember planting bulbs after putting up my Christmas decorations last year.

But we definitely get 4 seasons here. The winter is just shorter and milder.The summers longer and hotter. The one thing I caution you about is sun. Full sun here is different than full sun in CT.

I'm not a big hot hot weather fan, but everything down here is central AC and you do get used to it. In the hottest weather you do your outdoor chores early in the am or in the evening, then either stay indoors or in the shade for the rest of the day. Oh, and drink plenty of iced tea.

• nandina
    17 years ago

A few tips from a northern horticulturist now living south of Santee.

1. Soil is sand with very little nutrition and high in phosphorus. Do not use fertilizers high in phosphorus.

2. You will find that many plants grow best in high shade or morning sun, afternoon shade.

3. Epsom salts will be your best friend. It is magnesium which is necessary for plant absorption of iron. Don't be afraid to scatter it around plants.

4. Sandy soils are best amended by placing compost/manures on soil surface under pine needle mulch. Don't dig them in. Compost everything you can get your hands on. You will need it.

5. Winter gardening is fabulous here. Prowl the growers on St. John's Island near Charleston for plants and advice. Spring bulbs should be purchased when they come on the market in the fall, refrigerated until Jan. 1, then planted. Carleton is the best daffodil to grow here and is one of the few that will rebloom every year. Be certain to attend the hidden garden tours in Charleston for great ideas.

6. Careful selection of disease free rose varieties and many of the old shrub rose varieties will prove to be valuable garden additions.

7. Study on-line catalogs such as Plants Delight and Singing Spring Nursery for helpful tips. Best to buy plants rated for Zone 8b-9 to grow in this area.

Be prepared to say goodbye to many of your favorite plants and be ready to learn about many new ones. Also, you will find far fewer insect and disease problems here. No Japanese beetles! Fire ants...yes. Numerous northern annuals are perennial here.

You will have an enjoyable learning curve and quickly adapt to gardening in this area.

• thea611
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is great info, thanks so much! I'm taking lots of notes! We live in a fairly wet area, and every year I battle slugs. Do you have them, or an equivalent, down there? What about aphids? Do you see hummingbirds much (I would miss them!)? When we were in Beaufort a couple of weeks ago, we saw a LOT of mockingbirds but not any other birds really. Also, I've grown beautiful brugmansia but have to bring it in in the winter, I guess it can stay out and grow year round down there? I was surprised not to see any growing when we visited.

• buford
    17 years ago

it depends on the area, but we do get hummers here (I never saw them in NY) also cardinals, chickadees, tit mice, grackles, the usual sparrows, etc. Also goldfinch are quite plentiful here in the early spring

I have some slugs, but nothing like what my mom has in her garden in LI.

• gurley157fs
    17 years ago

I'm just up the road from Santee, in Sumter.

Do we have slugs? Boy do we ever.

I'm not a New Englander, I am originally from Chicago. The mamoth slugs that I found one night in my sunroom in 1987 nearly made me think I needed to move back up north.

It has been almost 20 years now though and I wouldn't live anywhere else.

It does take some getting used to but I certainly don't miss the snow, ice and the high cost of living.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Birds? OMG! You just wait! The year round AND seasonal bird residents will charm the dickens out of you! I'd like to see your face when you see your first Painted Bunting! lol

Nandina, should someone tell her about the sandgnats? ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1261655}}

• nandina
    17 years ago

First off, a hello to rhizo! BTW...I have discovered a sure cure for sand gnats. Just take a B1 tablet an hour before gardening. They will not come near you for several hours.

Our soon to be southener must not have explored Beaufort very well. This coastal area is loaded with birds. I was just watching painted buntings in my bird bath. They are always flitting about the yard, arriving in the spring with the flocks of bluebirds. Although many bluebirds over winter here. I now have seven birdbaths in the backyard and the birds are very particular about which one they will use. Each type of bird has a favorite. A Louisiana heron has staked claim to one of them and spends most of the day perched on it preening its feathers. The spring and fall warbler flights will drive you nuts as you try to identify them. My area does not have robins or sparrows. Sorry that I did not know you were house hunting in Beaufort. These old bones are telling me that it is time to begin restricting gardening activities so our house just went on the market. Probably what you were looking for. Gardens on a beautiful lake with tons of shore birds, eagles, osprey, etc. We will never find another spot to live as beautiful as this one. Sadly, the time for change has come.

• thea611
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ooookay, tell me more about the mammoth slugs and sandgnats...... We have big fat slugs, but I wouldn't call them mammoth exactly. You're scaring me! We put out the prescribed tins of beer so they can happily drown themselves, and I also go around the damper edges of the yard handpicking them and dropping them into a dish of salt (I know it's cruel, and it goes against my nature to do such things, but they hurt my plants so!).
    Nandina, you're right, we DID see some great shorebirds, and watched at very close range on Hunting Island, as an osprey (I think) caught a fish and then brought it back and sat on a piece of driftwood for the longest time, perhaps waiting for it to die so it could carry it better? I got some good photos of it. We did not see buntings though, can't wait til we do!!!! I've seen Indigo Buntings up here a few times in my life, they're pretty spectacular. I really liked Beaufort! I was sorry the waterfront was being torn up though, I wanted very much to see it! But moving to Santee, we won't be far, and can take trips down to visit!

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

Nandina...could you give some more information about amending sandy soil? Why do you suggest NOT tilling in?

• nandina
    17 years ago

Linda,
    Re your question on amending sandy soils. Nutrients perk quickly through sand. Here in the Low Country or those of us living near the ocean or close to tidal rivers find that the 'pull' of oceans tides contribute to this. Everything is pulled downward and we find ourselves having to dig and replant certain types of bulbs to their proper depth so they will continue blooming year after year. Ditto stepping stones set in sandy soils which need to be dug and reset quite often.

It is best to amend sandy soils at the surface. For vegetable gardens the old Ruth Stout method works well. A quick search will provide tons of information on that technique for those not familiar with it.

We all know that pine straw breaks down slowly. Take advantage of it. For ornamental gardens, spread a layer of pine straw. Now, add your amendments, whatever they may be; compost, mushroom compost, alfalfa meal, slow release fertilizers, etc. Then cover this with more pine straw or ground bark as a mulch. (I like to use triple ground bark as a final mulch each year as it greatly contributes to soil health.) If you will continue amending in this manner year after year you will build a dense, healthy soil layer. When you till, this mixes sand into your surface layer of amended soil which in turn allows all the nutrients to quickly leach downward beyond plant roots.

• gurley157fs
    17 years ago

thea,

When you do finally get settled e-mail me and I will be glad to share some plants to get started. My e-mail is on my member page.

BTW, I'm over the slug thing now. There are so many other wonderful things I get down here as a trade-off.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz