Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with Aucuba plant

Posted by grdn-newbie Georgia (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 17:54

I have an Aucuba plant on the side of my house that looks lovely, except it is leaning over as though the stalks are too heavy. I planted it in the corner where it only gets morning sun on half of the plant, hoping it would add color as it grew taller. It is like it wants to stretch out into the sun.(?) Should I just prune it back some or move it where the entire plant would be exposed to some sun? Is there a time when pruning or moving is best?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with Aucuba plant

If you suspect that it is reaching due to sun then pruning won't help it. In that case move it.

Otherwise, you could stake it for a while and see if it learns to stay in that place.

o

I vote for staking it, or letting it harden up on it's own. Especially if it's new growth. Worst case you can prune it out later. I want to add that the best way to prune Aucuba is to treat it like a cane growing plant, like nandina, and cut out a portion of the tall canes at ground level every year. This creates new growth, and different layers of growth. If you top prune, like you would a hedge, you end up with a tall leggy plant, with a lot of top growth, and not full looking.

Robert

o

Morning sun should be an ideal light condition for Aucuba. I would stake it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here