Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blight/disease on shrubbery (PICTURES)

Posted by BillyC9999999 MS (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 18:17

Hi All,

I know little about foliage, but some strange blight/disease is killing all of my home's hedges.

The blight is comprised of tiny, white rod-like growths that cover the plant's leaves and branches, killing it.

Any ideas what it may be from the enclosed photos? Any way to turn this situation around, or are my shrubs terminal?

Thanks!

-Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: PICTURE OF

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blight/disease on shrubbery (PICTURES)

Billy, grab that cluster of leaves into a ziploc bag and bring it to your local nursery. Is it leucothoe or euonymous?
I had this years ago on a manhattan euonymous in an area where the sunlight was blocked and the air circulation was bad.
The yard guys sprayed it with a sulfur preparation and after the leaf drop it recovered the next year. Important to remove the dropped leaves and treat the soil where they dropped as well.

o
RE: Blight/disease on shrubbery (PICTURES)

Looks like the dreaded euonymus scale insect. VERY common to this plant. Yours appears to be a very bad infestation, judging from the one picture you've attached.

Many people would suggest that these shrubs be 1)pruned all the way to the ground so that you can start all over again with insect-free growth. Of course, you'll have to fight this scale for the rest of your days. 2) Remove the euonymus and replace with something else. Euonymus is simply highly susceptible to this particular insect.

Remember, this is an insect and not a disease. No spraying with a fungicide; no treatment of soil, etc.

Do some 'googling' about Euonymus scale and you'll find many websites detailing your options. Hopefully, you'll visit your extension office with a sample. Local nurseries may or may not be staffed with knowledgeable folks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here