Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiecrosby_gw

Anybody know how to root 'Million Bells?'

katiecrosby
18 years ago

Can anybody tell me how to root Million Bells? I haven't had any luck so far!!

Any help would be appreciated!

K

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

It would be helpful if you told us the methods you have already tried. This is a plant that is only produced by cuttings, by the way, so let's figure out what you are doing wrong.

• katiecrosby
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I tried sticking 2-3 inch cuttings in potting soil and just covering them with a cut-off soda bottle (like I do my lantana), and i tried putting them in water (like I do with Pothos and Wandering Jew). In both cases, they just wilted and died. BTW, I am real novice at this gardening thing, only having done it for 3 seasons. I guess there is a more precise method with these lovely little plants. Yes, please tell me! Thanks, rhizo_1!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Attached is a link regarding the rooting of Calibrachoa (Million Bells). It's geared for commercial growers, I believe that you could take cuttings any time if you remove and keep pinching any flowers from the stems.

After you gently insert your cuttings into the pre-made hole, be sure to water it in well to insure water-to-tissue contact. I never cover my cuttings. Leave in a bright but not sunny location and keep the soil fairly moist during the rooting process. Of course, your potting medium must be very well draining.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calibrachoa (Million Bells)

• katiecrosby
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks a "MILLION," Dorie! I can't wait to start tomorrow, as I have the morning off and expect mild and pleasant weather. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
    Katie

• Dieter2NC
    18 years ago

I cant keep mine from suckering up. Patience will provide a great many new shrubs.

• JamesY40
    18 years ago

My neighbor planted some last year, and not only did they survive the winter, they are spreading all over the place. Beautiful ground cover.

James

• Shiann
    18 years ago

I had some in hanging baskets that were about to bust free - I just took a machete & chopped the root sections into smaller parts & they seem to be doing fine. Seems that you need a small section of root to get them off to a good start. (But you should have seen the look on the cops face as he drove by & saw me hacking away at something with that machete - the pot was just out of his view... hehehe!!)

• imadabbla
    18 years ago

I take it from these posts that you can overwinter Million Bells??? That's great news! They have some beautiful hanging baskets of these at a nursery in Montgomery that I wanted to buy but I don't want to waste money on flowers that are going to just go away like my petunias have every year.

• jbearden4571_charter_net
    16 years ago

Can these overwinter in the greenhouse or basement?

• ivamae
    13 years ago

What are the leaves like on this plant. I bought a hanging basket and am trying to figure out what it is. The flower looks very much like the Million Bells pics but the leaves are more like purslane.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone