Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody know how to root 'Million Bells?'

Posted by katiecrosby 8a/almost/bSC (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 05 at 18:48

Can anybody tell me how to root Million Bells? I haven't had any luck so far!!
Any help would be appreciated!
K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody know how to root 'Million Bells?'

It would be helpful if you told us the methods you have already tried. This is a plant that is only produced by cuttings, by the way, so let's figure out what you are doing wrong.

o

I tried sticking 2-3 inch cuttings in potting soil and just covering them with a cut-off soda bottle (like I do my lantana), and i tried putting them in water (like I do with Pothos and Wandering Jew). In both cases, they just wilted and died. BTW, I am real novice at this gardening thing, only having done it for 3 seasons. I guess there is a more precise method with these lovely little plants. Yes, please tell me! Thanks, rhizo_1!

o

Attached is a link regarding the rooting of Calibrachoa (Million Bells). It's geared for commercial growers, I believe that you could take cuttings any time if you remove and keep pinching any flowers from the stems.

After you gently insert your cuttings into the pre-made hole, be sure to water it in well to insure water-to-tissue contact. I never cover my cuttings. Leave in a bright but not sunny location and keep the soil fairly moist during the rooting process. Of course, your potting medium must be very well draining.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calibrachoa (Million Bells)

o

Thanks a "MILLION," Dorie! I can't wait to start tomorrow, as I have the morning off and expect mild and pleasant weather. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Katie

o

I cant keep mine from suckering up. Patience will provide a great many new shrubs.

o

My neighbor planted some last year, and not only did they survive the winter, they are spreading all over the place. Beautiful ground cover.

James

o

• Posted by Shiann Lower Alabama (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 19:36

I had some in hanging baskets that were about to bust free - I just took a machete & chopped the root sections into smaller parts & they seem to be doing fine. Seems that you need a small section of root to get them off to a good start. (But you should have seen the look on the cops face as he drove by & saw me hacking away at something with that machete - the pot was just out of his view... hehehe!!)

o

I take it from these posts that you can overwinter Million Bells??? That's great news! They have some beautiful hanging baskets of these at a nursery in Montgomery that I wanted to buy but I don't want to waste money on flowers that are going to just go away like my petunias have every year.

o

Can these overwinter in the greenhouse or basement?

o

What are the leaves like on this plant. I bought a hanging basket and am trying to figure out what it is. The flower looks very much like the Million Bells pics but the leaves are more like purslane.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here