Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Live Oak and Swimming Pools

Posted by iceflow Texas (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 08 at 19:28

Folks,
I have a pool with two live oaks nearby. One is about 12 feet from pool edge to trunk, the other is about 18 ft pool edge to trunk. The trees are about 30 ft + tall.

Question: Has anyone ever had any bad experiences with roots causing problems in the pool? eg: Puncturing the pool wall.

The pool is gunite structure and everything looks fine, the coping and pebble concrete suuround is all looking good. I just look at those trees and wonder.....should I be investing in a root barrier maybe?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Live Oak and Swimming Pools

You shouldn't because oaks normally have tap roots, which go straight down, but I am not certain about live oaks. You might want to check with an local arborist to make sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

The existance of tap roots continues to be one of the persistant myths about trees.

Some trees 'may' have tap roots (especially when young), but the primary (essential to the plant) part of the root system consists of wide spreading, fibrous, and shallow growth. Live Oaks, in particular, devote most of their root system to an area of soil not much deeper than 12 inches. 6 inches is normal.

Those oaks are quite close to your pool, considering that the root system will extend many times beyond the reach of the canopy.

o

Even if the roots don't invade the pool, I would be afraid they would crack the concrete apron around it. Live oak roots grow large and run along the surface. They may grow under and swell up under the concrete pation area.

o

Here is a very interesting link to an excellent Live Oak description . Check it out .

The link :http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ST564

"Be sure that adequate soil space is given to Live Oak. Although roots will grow under curbs and sidewalks when planted in confined soil spaces allowing the tree to thrive in urban sites, in time, they lift sidewalks, curbs and driveways. This may be a small price to pay for the bountiful shade cast by a row of healthy trees."

o

If it is sprouting new shoots by the pool, well, get home owners insurance that can help fix the pool, if you dont have it already, which you should if you own, then leave the tree be. If it does rip into the pool, the moisture stress will kill it anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here