Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Garden Plant Suggestions

Posted by fivemurfs 6.5 TN (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 20:13

Hi,
I have a big yard with sun and shade locations. I'd like to maximize this space with flowers, trees, shrubs that are good for cutting. It would be great to be able to walk out in my yard in January and have something beautiful to bring in the house.

Any plant suggestions will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Garden Plant Suggestions

Well I'm not an expert LOL, but I live in your zone. I'm not sure there is anything you can find to bring in during the winter months, unless you like holly/coniferous things to decorate with! I suggest early blooming bulbs like tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths. Not only do they come out first but they smell like spring. I also have a good amount roses around my yard, when the tulips have stopped blooming the roses usually start. A bushy rose like knock-outs are hardy and bloom practically until the first frost in my experience.

o

I live in zone 7b. You can grow forsythia but it will bloom later, but can be forced indoors earlier. Also nandina is beautiful in winter. Camellias can bloom fall to spring, depending on type - sasanqua or japonica, one is more cold hardy but I can't remember which. Hellebores bloom in winter. It seems like I had some old flower heads of oakleaf hydrangea and limelight hydrangea. Tulips and daffs are great too.

o

Annual cuttings I like the most are Sweet potato vine, green and black. I have recently gotten coleus and I think its amazing, especially if you dead head it. I also like purple heart. All 3 of those varieties can have cuttings taken from them and placed in water, but all 3 wont do well during a freeze so you'd have to take them inside for winter and reroot every year, but they do spread profusely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here