Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to help a transplanted dogwood

Posted by carolinakate 7b (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 21:01

We moved a small dogwood this spring just before it broke dormancy. The leaves started coming out soon after, but then it stopped. The leaves are still very small, but green. Some of the branches have no leaves at the tips. Is there anything I can do to help this tree survive?

Thanks.

k

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to help a transplanted dogwood

My advice would be to basically leave it alone. Whenever you have to move something (I do it more than I wish I did) the plant will suffer some "transplant shock" -- this is inevitable. The fact that it made leaves and then stopped, tells me that was all it could do at that time. I would mulch around it well, and keep it watered if it doesn't rain, but don't overwater it. I hope it gets some shade because that is what it likes. I think it will be ok.

o

Dear k,
I agree with louisianagal that the best thing to do is leave it alone and hope for the best. Keep it watered, but don't drown it. Spring comes early in Zone 7B; therefore, it's a good idea to transplant most woody ornamentals after the first killing frost, which ensures their dormancy, and before early February, when they are beginning to awaken from dormancy. Exceptions to that rule of thumb are palms, cycads, gardenias, and many other marginally hardy semi-tropicals. They seem to fare better when transplanted during active growth.

o

I agree, leave it alone - it will probably bounce back next year. Dogwoods like a slightly acid environment - give it some Hollytone and top dress it with some peat moss. All transplanted plant material needs to get sufficient water until the root system restablishes but, as the first poster said, don't overwater it....once a week deep watering during the heat should be enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here