Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Magic elephant ears

Posted by bamacrazy 8b Mobile, AL (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 21:24

Can anyone share info on this plant? I would like to grow them, but have a few questions. How likly is it that pets will eat them? Do they multiply? How quickly will they grow? Any special care other than lots of water? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Magic elephant ears

They want lots of food as well as water, and full sun. They grow fairly rapidly once the weather gets consistently hot--much as I love these nights in the fifties, they'll do better when they're in the sixties. I want to add, some people are really negative about elephant ears because SOME of them spread and are hard to get rid of (I have some of those too, so I sort of understand) Black Magic is a clumper and while the clump will get bigger I don't think it would ever be a problem, especially since your friends will want every offset you can pry loose from mama--and they can pry loose from you!

o

I grow Black Magic around a little fish pool. It gets really big, but it doesn't seem to be too aggressive. Pests are much of a problem. I do give away a lot of it, though.

o

My BMs even overwinter here with some mulch. I really like them as they give good color contrast to the tropical beds I am planting. Like the hardy banana, Musa Basjoo, they love to be fed and watered. My dogs leave them alone for the most part.

o

You can take root cuttings if you want but they will take 2 years to develop. I have to bring mine indoors for the winter in NJ. They do fine in a sunny window but will sunburn if you put them out right in blazing sun. Need to aclimate gradually to amount to sunlight. 2 weeks in part shade 2 weeks in half a day sun then into full sun.

o

You might get them to come back if you mulch them over really well or make a basket filled with leaves to put over them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here