Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meg2004_gw

Please advise

meg2004
14 years ago

I have recently been thinking about adding clematis vine to my front porch. it faces the hot South West direction, and will have the hot Texas sun 12 pm onwards.I have two pillars in the fron t porch that are bare right now. can someone advise some climbing roses for that location and may be some clematis vine suggestions as well? I have some bougainvilla vines at this time, but I am afraid they will not make it through the winter temp drops. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Meg

Comments (3)

• louisianagal
    14 years ago

My clematis do well in sun, my understanding is they like their roots shaded so plant a ground cover or some perennials at their feet. And water them when there has been no rain, esp in their first year. Most roses like full sun. I can highly recommend Antique Rose Emporium, just do a search and you will go crazy looking at all their roses. You can search for climbers and find out how big you want them. Some can cover a house, so you might not want them that big. Also there are pillar roses which are good for posts. I have had good success with climbing pinkie, and I have New Dawn, and my ballerina is really pretty even with faded blooms, altho it is a rose that tolerates shade, so not sure if it wants full hot sun, mine in under a tall pine so gets some shade. I think it can be a pillar rose.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

I have clematis growing in a brick and concrete planter which surrounds a brick mailbox post. It is in full sun all day in the Alabama summer sun. It does great.

• Donna
    14 years ago

I can recommend Aloha rose, which is a small climber, with the canes reaching about ten feet or so. It makes a bloom very similar to Belindas Dream, which is a nice soft lavender pink with excellent form and fragrance. It does not self clean, which is its only fault. I have two of them on six foot tuteurs and they do very well, blooming heavily in spring and fall with a nice sprinkling of blooms throughout summer. Like all climbers, you want to pull the main canes horizontally as much as you can. This will force lots of vertical shoots off the canes. Roses tend to bloom at the top, so you want to encourage lots of vertical growing canes.

I also have Mdme. Alfred Carriere, which is a wonderful, easy climber. The blooms are white with a very pale blush of pink. They are fragrant and they bloom all summer. It gets enormous, with canes that can easily reach 15 to 20 feet. In the right place, it's wonderful.

Both of these are antiques and came from Antique Rose Emporium. They have never been sprayed and have good, clean foliage. Other than watering, plus pruning and feeding in February, they get very little care, and look great most of the year.

I grow clematis with the Alohas. When I bought them, I thought I was getting two Roguuchis. One was mis-tagged, and it is my favorite by far. It has a very large bloom that is an icy soft lavender. It is just luscious with the pink roses and blooms very heavily in spring and fall. The Roguuchi is also very nice, but its dark purple bells are nowhere near as showy as the lighter blooms. I planted each at the very feet of the roses on the shady side of the roses. They get absolutely no care from me except a light pruning of dead wood occasionally, and they are wonderful.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living