Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia grandiflora: id of cultivar

Posted by njoasis 7a (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 22:08

I'm posting on this site because I thought more people would be familiar with cultivars of Magnolia grandiflora. (My collection includes the following cultivars: Majestic Beauty, Greenback, Little Gem, Victoria and Bracken's Brown.) Last year, I purchased a tree labeled as Victoria from a nursery. The leaves are somewhat smaller than the species and there is only a bit of brown pubescence on the undersides of the leaves. Well, this year, I purchased another plant labeled as Victoria from the same nursery. Only this plant is really somewhat different in appearance. It has much more cinnamon pubescence, is more tight and compact growing, leaves somewhat rounded in appearance, reddish leaf buds, leaf size also somewhat smaller than the species. So which sounds like a Victoria, and what might the other plant be. Reason it matters is that Victoria is supposed to be somewhat more dwarf (I know size is relative when it comes to grandiflora), but I am afraid one of this guys is a giant in disguise. The one I purchased in 2007 was planted in the front lawn, and I didn't want a really large culitvar there. Can "culivars" of grandiflora really look so different from each other?? Thanks in advance for you help. Happy gardening!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia grandiflora: id of cultivar

i would post this question on the "trees" forum. there are some professionals who visit that one regularly that should be able to answer this and it gets a lot more traffic than this forum.
good luck with your inquiry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here