Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy compost in Atlanta area?

Posted by atlanta_gardener 7b Atlanta (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 04 at 22:26

Hi all, I'm working on a perennial border and I need to add lots of organic matter. Does anyone have any recommendations re: the best compost to use and where to go to get it? Many thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy compost in Atlanta area?

Composted cattle manure is excellent. Check the Farmers and Consumers Market Bulletin for the closest location to you. It's often available for a nominal fee, but you must go pick it up.
Make sure you ask that it is composted.

GGG

o

There is a landfill off Lawrenceville Hwy (US-29) just east of the intersection with Jimmy Carter Blvd. If you have a truck, they'll fill it for "A small loading fee" ($5) with wood mulch. About 75% pine, 25% hardwood (both bark and chips). There's a bit of foreign matter since this is residential chopped trees. I've found bits of wire from extension cords, pieces of black landscape fabric and pots, pieces of cloth, and the remnants of a foam kneeling pad. The rate for trash is about 1 pint per cubic yard, in my experience.

It isn't "twice ground" like the stuff you can get delivered, so there are some fist-sized pieces of wood, but the price is right for me.

Oh, get there by 4:30. They close down at 5:00, which means the front end loader is headed back to the office at 4:40.

o

I recently had the Georgia Power Company deliver some mulch to me for free. They have a tree crew that cuts branches to keep them off the lines, and they will gladly dump a load in your yard or driveway if you call them. Sorry, I don't have the number anymore, but if you call GA Power they should be able to give it to you.
The mulch is like the above post, it contains some "foreign matter" (I found an unbroken beer bottle in mine). It's a mix of leaf, branch, and whole tree mulch.

o

I'm a big fan of Luxury Landscape in Lawrenceville at Collins Hill & 316. You can get a bulldozer scoop of mushroom compost for $23. It is normally $4 a bag at Home Depot and I figure a scoop is about 20 bags. It's a great deal and they are really easy to get in and out of. It has been like steriods for my plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luxury Landscape

o

You can pick up mulch for free from Dekalb County. I'm pretty sure you can get it in the governmental complex near where the Dekalb County Jail is. Off Memorial Drive. Also, the Dekalb County landfill in south Dekalb County used to have it as well. I'm sure if you call the main Dekalb County # in the phone book they can give you detail directions or get you to someone who can.

o

I also buy from Luxury Landscape they are the best around and have awesome product quality and prices - you may want to check out their soil/compost mix or humus mix. I've used their products for years in my annual beds and veggie garden - can't believe the yield.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here