Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandms

Southern magnolia not blooming

grandms
12 years ago

Forgive if this has already been answered. Also I posted on the tree forum as I just wish to get some good ideas as to the problem.

We have a Southern magnolia tree planted in March, about six years ago. During the first year, we watered regularly and fertilized several times. Also mulch has been maintained although no additional fertilizer has been applied and natural rainfall has been sufficient. The second year, there were several blossoms. Since then, it has not bloomed at all, although it puts out new leaf growth and has grown several feet in height. It receives about 5-6 hours of sunshine a day and has nothing growing closer than 20-30 feet. We do have some large pine trees in the vicinity, and I wonder if those could be a problem for this tree. The leaves are green and shiny with velvety brown undersides. The tree appears healthy in every way except for the lack of blossoms. Our area has many beautiful magnolia trees, including some that are many years old and 50 or more feet in height. What could be the problem with mine?

Comments (2)