Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone familiar with Indian Hawthorn bushes

Posted by nicole007 Texas (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 23:09

I've heard they're disease prone... should I try this for a front flower bed near the street or is it too temperamental to plant in such a noticeable location?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone familiar with Indian Hawthorn bushes

The site should be well drained and sunny. These plants do best with little fertilization and very little extra watering. The typical misuse of irrigation systems (frequent cycles of short duration) can be a real disease inducer. The same goes for locations that are frequently rainy and cloudy.

I've seen Rapheolepis used extensively as a foundation plant, and a major component of commercial and private landscaping. It can be completely disease free if grown under suitable conditions.

o

We've had them in our church landscape for 6 years. No problems so far. They get fertilized once a year and are under irrigation.

o

I grow alot of them in my home landscape, and in my church yard as well. In addition to all that has been said, I would make this note. They do not do well in shade. They will grow lanky and not fill out well. They need at least half a day of direct sunlight. Otherwise, they are pretty near the perfect evergreen shrub IMO. One shearing once a year will hold them at the same size indefinitely.
OTOH there are no perfect plants, and Indian Hawthornes are not perfect either. When you do that annual shearing you usually have to scalp them to keep them at a certain size. They recover in about a month, though. To keep this problem at a minimum be sure to give them proper spacing so you don't have to be constantly reducing their size. I usually space them five feet apart. They will fill in that space within three years if planted in good soil.
Also, the pink flowering varieties seem to be far more susceptible to that spotting thing than the white ones.

o

mine in south louisiana are very tough shrubs. a set it and forget it plant. i have never fertilized them and never water them. they are great foundation shrubs. in fact, they are my favorite foundation shrub

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here