Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randi86_gw

Beginning compost...question.

randi86
14 years ago

I was raised on a small southern animal farm. At any given time we have had horses, dogs, cats, goats, pigs, chickens, geese, guinaes, a raccoon, deer, etc.

Animals have come and gone, and now that I am in college, we are down to mainly one horse; we still have some smaller animals, but they do not matter for this question.

On our property we have a wooden barn with the natural earth as the floor. The horses have always had free reign of the barn, being able to come and go from it as they please. The dirt on the floor has slowly risen from manure, etc. accumulating.

I am wanting to take the accumulated dirt from the floor and possibly compost it.

With the horses being the main contributors of the "rich dirt" on the floor, (it's at that stage where it is dry and somewhat dusty, if that makes sense, very rich, but dry), I understand there are many weed seeds in the dirt and that it is too rich to put directly on plants.

I read about something called "hot composting" to bring the temp. of the compost pile up to a high enough temperature to kill the weed seeds.

How is the best way to do this?

I have no tractor. I would be shoveling by hand.

The barn is on a small hill. The article I read said to allow for runoff, so I am wondering if simply piling it into a large pile at the top of the hill near the barn would allow for a sufficient composting environment.

I currently have a vegetable garden: tomatoes, jalapenos, cucumbers, squash, banana peppers, etc.

and a newly planted herb garden that I am just now attempting to start with cilantro and sage...I hope to soon also get some Oregano, basil, thyme, maybe some lavender.

Any advice?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH