Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to start planning a garden

Posted by zoes_mom_growsthings 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 07 at 7:09

hi, this is my first post, but i've been snooping around for a while.

i'm in the process of building my first house, in lumpkin county. the land is set up pretty well to have a garden in the back, and i'm very excited about finally getting to grow things.

i was curious as to when all of you start planning your garden for next year, and if you have any tips for someone about to start a vegetable garden for the first time.

i'm a novice gardener, but my father and mother in law have neon green thumbs, and will be coming to work in the garden as well. so, any tips for a novice in general would be great.

thanks a ton!

catherine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to start planning a garden

If you're in Georgia, try posting this on the Georgia forum. This forum doesn't get as much traffic as the individual state ones.

o

why wait? you can have a fall veggie garden this year. i am in zone 8, and can grow things up until around November, December if we have a warm winter.

as to planning for next year, get a notebook and anytime you think of what you want to plant, write it down. draw out a grapgh of the garden and label where you will put each item. if you have more than you have room for, either make the garden bigger or cut back on a few things. most beans and peas will keep producing after each picking, so you may only want 1-2 rows of them and leave them all season.

plan on staggering plantings, as one crops yeilds and dies off, replace it with a different plant.

i am already thinking of how to layout next years plants, and i have 5 or 6 rows not even planted this year yet!

o

I live in Ga. zone 7 about 25 miles east of Atlanta and I find it is better to plant my summer vegatable garden after the nighttime temperature reaches at least a steady 50 degree's.
I can plant some things in the late fall and have fresh spinach and most green veggies all winter.

o

I think you've already started. Once you start considering you want a garden the process has begun.

But if I were planning for next years garden or maybe a winter garden I would start prepping the area. I would be asking myself questions like . . .
Will you be at ground level or doing raised beds?
Will you have a compost area/bin?
What plants are you considering?
Will you be doing a particular type of gardening? square foot? companion planting? etc.

Starting off can be trial and error sometimes.

But preparing the soil and area you plan to have your garden area would be on top of my list.

Just a suggestion if your house is being built now, consider getting some water lines out to your garden area, it beats having to drag hoses out to various spots.

We did that when we built, it has been so useful. And it is very inexpensive to do.

Congrats on the new home and soon to be garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here