Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botanicat

Are ginger lilies as invasive as cannas?

botanicat
17 years ago

After reading several discussions about the invasiveness of canna lilies I am getting a little concerned. I also have ginger lilies planted about 3 years ago. I'm now wondering if they are as invasive as the cannas? Thanks for your info.

Comments (3)

• the_virginian
    17 years ago

Calla or canna? Ginger Lillies...do you mean a ginger plant?

• tony_pman
    17 years ago

Not all canna are fast spreading and not all ginger. The white butterfly ginger spreades quiet fast. I have a lots off canna and a lots of gingers. Some I wish I could get to grow faster. I have some canna that only puts up one or two stims a year, while I have others that put up 25 or more. The only ginger that has grown faster than I wanted was the butterfly ginger.

• botanicat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm not sure which ginger lily I have. It was given to me by someone who had their first one brought from Hawaii. He seemed to think it was just the common variety. When it blooms I will pay more attention and try to figure out which I have. I have a couple of varieties of the cannas, including the ones with red leaves. I had read where they spread very bad but I don't remember my mother's doing that excessively.

To the virginian: I have callas also, experimenting with them for the first time this year and having good luck so far. Are you referring to the small ginger plant that grows close to the ground in shady places? I have seen these growing wild but do not grow them in the garden.

Sponsored