Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtnc

Wayne...another snake ID, please

jimtnc
17 years ago

I'm outside Raleigh, and I found this critter close to were I was planting some shrubs (6-8 feet). I was finished and putting things up when I spotted it...really close by. The markings aren't familiar to me, but it didn't act afraid of me in the least, and just kept going it's way. Can you help in the ID?

Sorry for the pic size, but I was afraid you might not be able to tell the markings any smaller. Please excuse. Thanks

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I'd say an Eastern Brown snake.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1262211}}

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

Or a garter snake.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garter snake link (one of many)

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, I think Brown snake too. I let that one get away. I'll tell you, I've seen more snakes this spring than I have in a long time. Had to kill one Sat. That's about 5-6 in 4 weeks. It's mating season I hear, but I wish these guys would go somewhere else to do their wooing.

17 years ago

Why HAD? Just curious as to what kind of snakes you're finding that need to be killed. That Brown Snake is a pretty one, isn't he?

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have mostly copperheads, and if you think they're cute please discontinue posting. I appreciate your position and love of nature, but I don't like them, never have and never will. Enough said.

17 years ago

Grouchy? All I asked was what kind of snakes you had to kill! I didn't mean a single thing by it other than: I wonder what kind of snakes? Not real sure how you could read anything into that. I am not about to try to convince people who do not like snakes to do so. I have been forced to kill a few myself. I can't help but wonder what 'position' you've decided I've taken, lol.

But I STILL say that that Brown Snake is pretty. ;-)

Anyway, have a good day....and I REALLY do mean that!

• wayne_mo
    17 years ago

It's an Eastern Garter Snake. The checkerboard pattern on it is more well-defined than on most garter snakes which gives it a brown snake kind of apperance (brown snakes being characterized by the houndstooth pattern). But note the light colored stripe across the top of the snake and the light coloration on the lower beneath the eye part of the head.

As others have said very nice looking snake!

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

rhizo_1 -
    LOL. Thanks, I will have a good day. You too. I don't care if you like those things. A lot of the posts I've read lately have quite a few leaning to the "like" rather than the "dislike" side, so I naturally thought you were trying to stir the pot.

wayne_mo -
    Thanks for the ID.

Anyway, they make me more nervous than anything else. They're showing up all over my place.

• pcj42
    17 years ago

I haven't really read much on this board, so you may already know about this site, but here is a great site for snake IDs.

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herpcons.html

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

pcj42 -
    Thanks. I'll give it a looksee.

• the_virginian
    17 years ago

Not trying to stir the pot, but both non posionous and even posionous snakes eat lots of pests we don't want in out gardens, sheds or homes. Killing them really isn't nessecary and they can be moved with a snake hook or even a shovel. Killing animals just because they are there and I don't like them seems like a poor excuse. No flame inteneded, but it would be better to throw them back in the woods. I've been bitten by a copperhead and it was my fault and I didn't kill him because he happened to be posionous and I was handling him incorrectly. I'm far from being a tree hugger, I hunt and fish, but don't think the idea of killing because you don't like an animal is very sporting. Garter snakes are great around the garden as they eat slugs and so will baby copperheads.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County