Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopin4rain

What to Grow for Wedding

hopin4rain (7A TN)
13 years ago

I live right along the Alabama-Tennessee stateline and I am trying to find some flowers that I can grow so that they will be blooming for a June-July wedding. The wedding is not for another 2 years so I have a little bit of time to plan, but I want to get a move on so that the plants will be established and doing well by the wedding. I am slightly new to gardening so the easier the plant the better, but I am willing to put in a lot of time and effort so I'm up for harder plants also. I have not yet chosen colors for the wedding, so don't worry about what colors the flowers come in. Thank you so much for your help with getting ready for my wedding!!!

Comments (8)

• ilikemud_2007
    13 years ago

You don't say what the exposure is so it's a bit hard to recommend. If it's a sunny area Roses would be blooming at that time of year. If you have some shade Hydrangeas are a beautiful summer bloomer.

• louisianagal
    13 years ago

I am having a wedding here on Saturday! (my son). Right now I have blooming lots of black-eyed susans, coneflowers, hydrangeas, cannas, lantana, hollyhocks, yarrow, daisies, astilbe, gallardia, monarda. my roses are taking a break, they were great in May here. I live near Tupelo, so that gives you an idea.

• hopin4rain (7A TN)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ilikemud- my yard is ALL sun. No trees at all and we own 20 acres, so plants that take up a lot of space are no problem.
    Thank you Louisianagal. That was all really helpful. I have some rose bushes and two hydrangeas and most of that other stuff I think I can start from seed. Thanks! Oh... is it too late to plant seeds?

• Donna
    13 years ago

It can be very tricky to plant for a specific date since the weather can create so many variables. Your best bet is to plant a wide variety of perennials, with a fairly good number of annuals for insurance. I am linking below to a list I gave in the perennial forum of low growing plants that have bloomed in my garden since the first of the year. I live about halfway down the state of MS on the far eastern border. The idea of roses and/or hydrangeas is excellent. You need some large plants scattered throughout your bed for mass.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden, Feb to June 1, 2010

• Donna
    13 years ago

If you double click on the link below, you will see some pictures of my garden. You'll get full size images if you click on Slide Show at the top.

Here is a link that might be useful: Donna's Garden, 2010

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

My first school was grades 1-9 and then we went to high school. Every year we had 9th grade graduation. I'll always remember the graduation flower arrangement. The florist always donated the arrangements since she was the only florist in the surrounding area it was good PR. She used two large clay urns and cut Queen Anne's Lace to put in them; no greenery. Since out school colors were red and white, she used a spray to color some blooms red. You could use as many colors as your want. Queen Anne's Lace makes a very lacy, ethereal arrangement, well suited for a wedding. Best of all the grow wild and are free. How about tall, pink glads surrounded with Queen Anne's Lace?

• jodeanlynn
    13 years ago

Not sure what zone you are , would hydrangea be bloomimg during that time by you ????They make beautiful bouquets.I was going to do that for my my son's wedding and my own , did not happen and do not count on this !!! Plan an alternative if you do insist on trying ! I used silks for the tables, expensive but they have coupons for 50% off and when you open a new account online ...plus you do have 2 years so start buying now and get creative .I bought fillers very cheap at the dollar tree! They turned out great.Also piece I put above the arch costs me $150.00 at least in materials . but oh was it gorgeous ! My mom has it above her fireplace ! It would have cost well over $1000.00 for fresh flowers /labor at some florist !!!! I did by other flowers (fresh) for corsages etc.. at Flowerama , and the cost was alot less then some of the more popular florists in town , but they let me look in the cooler ,were very helpful ,and in the end I got some beautiful stuff and you sure could not tell it did not come from a more exp. florist ! Also my wedding was in the Fall, silks have a great fall collection ! I had also a chocolate 3 tiered wedding cake with chocolate cigarellos(chocolate tubes , shaped like long cigarettes?) going all the way around each layer and fondant around it acting as if it were holding them on the cake , anyway the cake had real flowers all over each layer and surrounding the bottom and on the top was a beautiful assortment...I just went to all these places till I found the colors I was wanting,and they let me buy just a few pices at the florista I went to,mostly went to like Publix etc.....plenty extras but better to be safe ...OH And each layer of my cake was a different filling ! Chocolate cream, cappuccino, rasberry ! SO YUMMY!

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Congrats! You're smart to plan ahead.
    Are you wanting flowers to cut for bouquets or are you wanting flowers in the ground for an outdoor wedding? Or both?
    Since you don't know what colors, I'd plant mostly white flowers, roses, daisies, etc.
    You might want to look through the forum for Cutting Gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting Gardens