Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Move a Crape Myrtle

Posted by mattman AL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 10:55

I've got a 10' Natchez Crape Myrtle that I need to move about 30 feet. It's canopy spreads about 6 feet wide from center (5 trunks). I hate the thought, particularly because I've got it shaped to a nice vase shape. But it's just in the way of a patio I now have planned. This will be the 3rd summer it's been planted.

Should I pay a landscaper to move it? Should I attempt to do it myself with a few friends. I'm thinking that either way it's moved, it should be done in the winter or very early spring after the foliage has dropped so I know it's dormant. Any wisdom to offer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Move a Crape Myrtle

You could move it now as long as you and your friends won't get bad backs from doing the move. Try to take as big a root ball as possible and use root stimulator and transplant shock solution on it in additon to proper soil/hole and mulch. I find it doesn't matter what time of year I transplant/plant crepe myrtles and they do well as long as they are well watered.

o

With a tree that size, I would really recommend that you wait until the dormant season. It is much less stressful on a deciduous plant, as you know. You could, however, begin some root pruning now, in preparation for this transplanting project. I would do everything possible over the upcoming months to help your plant grow a heavy feeder root system close to the trunk. Applying a layer of mulch and root pruning will assist in accomplishing that.

The very act of root pruning is invasive, so have your mulch layer down first, and be prepared to water your plant heavily at first. Baby it over the summer, but do NOT fertilize!

Read up on transplanting techniques. Improper handling of the roots and the rough 'manhandling' of plants can cause permanent damage. It's easy to do it right, though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Check this out....

o

A neighbor gave us a large crape myrtle from his yard, and I was amazed at how well it did. I don't recall what time of year we moved it, but the next season it was fine, with plenty of blooms. I know lots of other shrubs and trees that would not have survived that move, they must be tough.

o

I have moved several large trees, hacked at the roots til I was tired, then pulled them out with my truck and a rope, they are all doing fine!!! Moved mine in the spring. One fell over from the weight in a rainstorm before it got settled back in, but I propped it back up and its blooming and happy later the same year...cm's are tough!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here