Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Eats Glads?

Posted by rokkis_mom z7 Atlanta (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 11:01

My gladiolas are just about to bust out in bloom. I had one early bird that opened its top 3 or 4 flowers yesterday and today it's gone! Just the flower stalk from the first buds up. Anybody have any ideas? It wasn't my grandchildren. I want to be able to enjoy the rest of them.
Help, please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Eats Glads?

I hate to even ask, but is there a clear cut?
I had a similar problem many, mnay years ago of Hyacinths blooming. I was so excited as it was my very first flower garden EVER. (I only had about six flowers)
I found out from one neighbor that another neigbhor decided to come into my yard and help herself.

It was such an absurd accusation in my mind that I looked at the stalk carefully and saw that the plants were cut. No insect could have made such a clean line.

Aside from that, I'm like you . . . I would have to suspect my grandgirls if they were around.

In fact, it is Glad bulbs that I had my grandgirls plant this year. Every year during Easter they plant some sort of bulb or seed. They have markers with their names on them to mark the ground where their plants will eventually come up. We ended planting a bit later this time so no flowers of yet, but it shouldn't be long.
But I will be curious to read what others might suggest to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here