Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite zucchini for productivity?!

Posted by Stellabee 7, Atlanta (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 11:06

Good Morning Everyone,

I am growing costata romanesco zucchini this year. For anyone who cares to know, it grows wonderfully here in the Decatur/Atlanta area. The fruits are firm and delicious and the plant produces pretty well. I wouldn't use the word 'prolific' though to describe the amount of fruit I'm getting.

On that note, can anyone who lives in or around the Atlanta area tell me of an heirloom or organic zucchini variety that you've grown personally and gotten a prolific amount of fruit from?

If anyone has anything else to to say about heirloom/organic yellow squash, cucumber, pole beans and tomatoes that have done very well for you in and around this area, please do chime in...I'm already thinking about next year's garden and want a bit more food:-)

Thanks Guys...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite zucchini for productivity?!

I'm in central LA. Not exactly right around you, but Southern and hot. I've grown heirlooms in containers for the last few years. In my experience, the best-producing heirloom tomatoes I've had are the Green Zebra, Yellow Pear, and Sungold cherries. I pick at least a pink off of the Sungolds every week, and they just keep making and making tomatoes and setting fruit.....even when it's 100 degrees out, and everyone says they shouldn't be. The Zebras always give me dozens of fruit, and the Pear produces at about half of the Sungold. It has plenty, but not quite as much. I've also grown Orange Blossom and Black Prince tomatoes with great success, as well as Purple Cherokees. Don't have any Cherokees this year though.

As far as zukes, I've had good success with growing Burpee's Organic Black Beauty zucchini from seed. And I would highly recommend eggplant. Fairytale does great and is absolutely delicious.

o

Hey Followtheinle, thanks for the info. Oddly, a lot of the tomatoes you listed are supposed to do well here. I've never tried them, but I have some Cherokee Purples I'm about to put in the ground for a later summer harvest. I'm really curious about the Green Zebra too-that will have to happen next Spring though.
Oh, and I bought some black beauty zucchini after reading this. Most zucchini does really well here, so hopefully this variety will be prolific. We'll see...

Thanks Again:-)

o

Follow theinli,
I second the motion on yellow pear. I grow at least four plants per year and always get a great harvest. I actually was already considering the sungold, but after your comments its a shoe in. I love yellow pear tomatoes. How does the taste of yellow pear compare to sungold?

o

If you like to grow cucumbers try Poinsett 76. It's the best most productive cucumber I've ever grown. It's a great variety for the deep south.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here