Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird White stuff growing on my soil

Posted by markj1955 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 11:11

I have some basil growing on my deck, and overnight, it developed a strange white substance, not on the plant, but on the soil around the plant. I am thinking it may be some sort of fungus or mold because the weather has been rainy over the past week. Plus, the container is fairly shaded even though the leaves get enough sun.

The picture is a close up of the top of the soil.

Any ideas about how to treat? Or should I just put in new soil and get new plants (don't want to get sick)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird White stuff growing on my soil

A very tiny fungi, not necessarily bad and some plants actually benefit from them when the fungi has a relationship with the plant's roots to transport nutrients. If the plant is not suffering, I would not worry about it.

o
RE: Weird White stuff growing on my soil

Thank you, I could not find any pictures or a description that looks like this. Your response is very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here