Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agave americana, aka what not to place by walkway

Posted by Danielsan 7B (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 14:11

I just have to share this with somebody. We moved into this home about a year ago, and knew nothing of the landscaping or what we had. We've learned little by little, and this spring we got a true surprise: one of the agaves out front is blooming!

Now, sadly, these plants were put in near the walk in front of the house and have become a huge problem. Thankfully we'll get to see one bloom before we take it out!

The main bloom stalk has been growing (visibly) for about a month now and is a little over 15 ft tall. We noticed two weeks ago that one of the immature plants was also blooming, and has its own bloom stalk that is about 3 ft tall now.

We still plan to remove a second large agave even though it hasn't bloomed due to the proximity to the walk, along with many many pups that have come up. Are these pups something that would be valuable to folks in my area (7B, northern AL) or would you all just discard them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agave americana, aka what not to place by walkway

I understand your frustration. In the subdivision I live, the builder installed crape myrtles 3 ft. away from the house?! We have already removed one and have another yet to remove. Obviously he had no idea how big those things get. I know nothing about agaves, but if it were me, I would dig it up and toss it out. Unless you have friends/relatives who want it. Good luck

o
RE: Agave americana, aka what not to place by walkway

Take lots of pictures! These plants are pretty spectacular when blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here