Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help planning fundraiser plant sale or swap

Posted by kathy547 z8 AR (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 15:07

Hello! I've been gone for awhile due to no internet unless I use my phone or I make a trip to the library. I would like to plan a plant swap or a sale as a fundraiser. This would be for a small animal rescue located about 25 miles from my house, on the Louisiana side of the state line. The man who started the rescue provides about 80% of the financial burden & I would like to do what I can to help out.

I have been to plant swaps where I paid like $10 to set up a booth or the swap was free. I'm not sure how to go about this one. This area is spread out & rural so I thought I would invite garden clubs & master gardeners to also participate as well as people who did crafts like birdhouses, swings, etc. Maybe have lectures & demostrations to draw more people in. I do want people to have fun & learn new things about gardening but I also want to earn as much money for the rescue as I can. Some people will just donate plants that we could sell but there will be people who want to swap plants & also people who will come looking to buy plants that are just starting out & won't have anything. Anyone have any ideas how I should go about setting this up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help planning fundraiser plant sale or swap

Forgot to ask!!!! When would be the best time to have this? I want enough time to root some stuff & to advertise. I don't want to do it during the really hot or really cold months.

o

Thinking I could hand out tickets, depending on size & value of the items. They would in turn use the tickets to "buy" other plants & items. People coming to event could purchase tickets, say 10 for $5.00. Not sure how to handle people who make or sell expensive items.

o

Thinking I could hand out tickets, depending on size & value of the items. They would in turn use the tickets to "buy" other plants & items. People coming to event could purchase tickets, say 10 for $5.00. Not sure how to handle people who make or sell expensive items.

o

Kathy, I know you have the best of intentions but I think you're biting off more than one person can chew since your ideas are weather-dependent and advertising intensive (cost-wise).
What it also won't help is getting the interested people to the shelter to adopt some of these rescued animals.
What you could do is make people aware this fellow needs donations of pet food and cat litter.
Just remember, animal control officers frequently have to respond to noise and odor complaints and find a burden of under-fed/watered semi-feral small animals that bred and expanded way beyond the original intent of the shelter provider. You have a good heart but I suspect this fellow needs simple donations of pet food and perhaps donations of veterinary services.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here