Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moremoremore_gw

How long before I must remove shrub from temporary pot?

moremoremore
14 years ago

Hey guys....So I have some vurbenum shrubs (maybe I spelled that wrong)...They are in 3 gallon pots from Home Depot...I got some last weekend and some more this weekend...I just sprayed to kill virginia creeper that I thought was poison ivy (oh well)...and it says I have to wait 2 weeks to plant shrubs!!!

Will my shrubs be ok in the pots if I water them and keep them in the filtered sun/shade (that's what they like..I got the shade liking spring bouquet)...

Do you think I can plant them sooner if I really dig out the soil where the creeper was sprayed?

Thanks to all.

Comments (5)

• Donna
    14 years ago

Certainly, the sooner you get the shrubs into the ground the happier they will be. However, with this heat, I wouldn't take a chance on them settling into an area that was recently sprayed with herbicide. Put them in the shade, and water them enough that their soil doesn't go bone dry ever. They should be okay for a couple of weeks. If at all possible, try to transplant them into the ground on a cloudy day or better yet, right before a rain comes through. Either way, be sure to put plenty of water IN the hole at planting, and then plenty of water all OVER the hole. Then give them a good thick mulch. Keep them watered thereafter, and they should do fine.

• moremoremore
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Donna. Thanks so much. They will be going in almost full shade...I was told that this type of plant is find with that...so I"m keeping them there now too.....

My landscaper will be putting them in...I'm a total newbie- what do you mean by giving them a mulch?

• Donna
    14 years ago

:)
    A mulch is an organic material that you use to cover the ground in your beds and around your shrubs. It has many great benefits: it helps keep moisture in the soil so you don't need to water so much, it stops a very high percentage (95%) of weed seeds in your soil from germinating (and keeps the soil moist so any that do pop up can be easily pulled), and it breaks down slowly over the course of the year, feeding the soil and the organisms that dwell in the soil. MULCH IS A GOOD THING.

Here are some examples:
    Chopped leaves: the absolute best. Pick up fallen leaves in autumn with your bagged lawnmower. Put them in your beds about 3 inches or so deep.
    Pinestraw: "pert-neer" as good as leaves. (sorry) Neat and oh, so plentiful, in the south.
    Homemade compost: as good as leaves.
    Grass clippings: lay them into the bed in one inch layers at a time so they don't smell.
    shredded newspaper: lay into the bed and wet it down with the hose so it won't blow away. Don't use the full color paper. It won't break down.

Did you notice that all of the above are also free? They are the ultimate recyclables!

Purchased mulches like shredded bark, chipped bark, etc. The problem with these is they cost a WHOLE lot if you buy enough to put the several inches necessary to do the job. Avoid the dyed ones, most especially the orange red ones. Please!

When you put them into the bed, be sure to pull the mulch away from the crown (central stems) of your plants a couple of inches all around so the crown won't rot.

Lots of people mulch twice a year: spring and fall. I do it once a year in the fall, when the materials are readily available, and use a good thick layer: 3 to 5 inches. By putting it on thick, I only need to do it once a year, unless I get to stirring the soil. That inevitably makes the mulch break down faster. I collect some extra and pile it up for just such occasions. Each year, I just lay fresh mulch right over the old mulch.

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

You can also purchase a round bale of hay that is OLD. The older the better. Put about 3-4 inches in your beds. Be careful that it does not touch the trunk of your plant or tree. With it being old the seeds are almost gone and it is cheap. A lot of farmers will give you a free bale and it goes a LONG way. I know many people in my area that use old hay and does not have a problem with the seeds coming up.

• moremoremore
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys...they are now planted...we actually have needles in the back where they were planted, so they are just hanging out now enjoying (hopefully) their new home!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!