Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poppies_n_zinnias

Watering veggie garden in xtreme heat...

poppies_n_zinnias
14 years ago

My poor little garden. All of my poor plants, actually. It is just SCORCHING hot here and I am wondering how I should be watering my veggie garden, accordingly. All of my plants droop and wilt in the heat and I don't want them to die. I made the mistake of setting my sprinklers to come on every day for 10 minutes at a time. Then, my squash and zucchini got some sort of fungus (I am sure from the overwatering) and the zucchini didn't make it. I am trying to rehab the yellow squash, but it is not looking good. So, obviously, everyday is not good. But how often should I be watering in this 100+ degree heat? And for how long each time??

Thanks!!

Comments (5)

• Donna
    14 years ago

First of all, you need to mulch your garden. This may or may not be practical now that your garden is up and growing, but keep it in mind for next year. I sow my seeds and as soon as they have true leaves, I cover the garden area with a good thick layer of pinestraw. It works wonders, not only for holding moisture in the soil, but it keeps the plants' roots cool, and smothers out the vast majority of weeds.

This is kind of a pain, but it's effective. Fill gallon jugs of water, and put a small hole in the bottom of each. Then set them beside your plants and let the water slowly trickle in. It will get the water down deep where the roots need it.

There is no way for anyone to tell you how often to water. We can only tell you how. When you water, give your plants a good deep watering that will hopefully last several days. It can take a sprinkler two hours to put down 1/4 inch of water. Plants really prefer one inch a week. Stick your finger into the soil near your plants about an inch deep. Pull your finger out and rub it against your thumb. Feel moisture? Good. Feels dry? Water.

• mark_sunlorehomes_com
    12 years ago

It is 110 degrees out. I water when the soil is dry/moist at 1-3"deep. So as not to rot the roots. Squash,tomatoes,cuccumber,carrots,onions & peppers. But by the end of the day they are all wilted and look like they are dying. After watering they perc up by the next AM. But the fruit is wimpy at best now. HMMM any input?
    Thanks Mark

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I don't know what kind of sprinklers you have, but 10 minutes from most that I have ever seen is not enough to barely get the top of the soil moist, let alone soak the root system.

Vegetables need a lot of water...the SOIL SYSTEM needs to be soaked before it dries out each time.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I feel your pain! We had a spell of about 7 weeks without a single drop here. There has been some rain recently, but the ground is so dry that most of it just runs down the street to the storm drains. None of the rains has been long enough to provide moisture below about 2".

When you water, it should be enough that it is not necessary to do again for at least 3-4 days afterward. Nearby trees can make it impossible to go longer. Finding this balance is a matter of experience and trial/error. Eventually, you'll be able to know/see when plants are "about to wilt." Mid-day wilt can be misleading. If plants are still wilted at sunrise, you know they are genuinely thirsty. There's virtually zero chance of overwatering in drought conditions, so err on the side of too much, but do it less often.

The kind of spray coming out of the sprinkler can be a big factor, too. If there is a lot of mist, much of the water will evaporate, not soak into the ground. Water needs to be applied slowly enough that it does not just flow away to some other area. A slow dribble will provide water much more deeply than a brief deluge of water. Knowing how far to turn the knob on the faucet to achieve this takes practice. (That's where the advice from donnabaskets about the jugs comes from. I just wanted to add that if you put a rock in the jugs, they won't blow away while they're empty.)

Keep trying, you'll get it!

• P.Dean
    12 years ago

The "micro irragating systems" are wonderful.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH