Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lantana-poisonous?

Posted by michelle11 z7 AL (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 05 at 16:58

Does anyone know if lantana seeds are poisonous? My 1 yr old is trying to eat them.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lantana-poisonous?

That's what I've heard and read!
Don't know just how toxic but would be very careful with a one year old around this plant. Good luck.
cajunmama

o

According to many sources lantana is very toxic. The berries if eaten are very poisonous. The leaves can cause skin irritaion. Some of the signs of ingestion: vomiting, diarrhea, labored breathing. Other than small children, animals are the most at risk. I live in a neighborhood and have no problems with my lantana which is planted around my mailbox. If you're in the country, with livestock close by the plant I would re-think where you would like to plant it. Otherwise, I've enjoyed mine for several years without incident.

o

This is from www.floridata.com
WARNING: Pets have reportedly become ill after ingesting lantana. The unripe berries are known to be very toxic and the foliage toxic to livestock. Lantana is listed as a Category I invasive exotic species by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council, which means that it is known to be "invading and disrupting native plant communities in Florida." Lantana is also invading natural areas in Texas and is a huge problem in Hawaii.

o

Normally I would try to be of a gentler tone but in this case - DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD PUT THIS IN THIER MOUTH or have the residue on the hands for that matter. Also if you have oleander that is another deadly plant. Might be a good idea to google poisonous plants.

o

• Posted by lolasma Southeast Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 17:43

I love lantana, but I have a new dog and she will be in the same fenced area as the lantana. Is there another plant, similar in color and sturdiness that I could use instead?
Marilyn

o

I'm having problems with Ants eating all my Fall planting of Spring annuals. I'm thinking of adding Lantana to the garden and since it is poisonous, maybe they will leave it alone? Any one notice Ants eating on your Lantana? How about frost tenderness? Thanks in advance

o

Hi, Biggestfeet. You may want to start a new discussion next time you have a new question.

Plants that are poisonous to one kind of critter are not necessarily so for another. So ants and humans are unlikely to have identical sensitivities. And the ants would have to be ingesting the Lantana for it to be an issue.

If you look closely, I think you will find aphids or some similar pest(s) wherever there are ants on plants. What do you think?

If you show a pic of your damaged annuals in the garden clinic forum if you still have questions, it may be possible to help you figure out what's munching on your plants, which would then help you learn/solicit what possible solutions might exist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here