Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidiho_gw

Got rid of our mosquitos

heidiho
20 years ago

Cutters brand "Backyard Bug Spray" got rid of our mosquitos. Got it at Lowe's for around $8 a bottle and followed instructions and haven't seen a mosquito in a week . It connects to your hose like Miracle Grow Feeder.

We're not far from the Gulf in south Texas and right after our first rain the mosquitos were horrible and we couldn't even go outside. Since we sprayed this in our grass we haven't even seen one and it's rained almost every day for the last week. My daughter also tried it in South Louisiana and she hasn't had any either. It sure worked for us. We had tried everything else. Good luck.

Comments (38)

• heidiho
    Original Author
    20 years ago

More Info on Mosquito Spray:

It says "Bug Free Backyard spray concentrate"
    Says it will control Ants,Armyworms,Crickets,Cutworms,Chinch Bugs,Fleas,Grasshoppers,Mole Crickets,Mosquitoes,Non-poisonous spiders,Brown dog ticks,and Sod Webworms (I wonder if that means p.c. worms? lol) on Bentgrass ,Bermudagrass,Bluegrass, Fescue,Irish Moss, Merion and St. Augustine laws. Will also control Aphids,bagworms,budworms,cicadas,citrus black flies, elm leaf beetles,elm spanworms,exposed thrips,fall cankerworms,fall webworms,inchworms,leafminers,leafrollers,mealybugs,needle scales,oakworms,pinebeetles,pineMoths,pine needleminers,spider Mites,Tussock Moths and white flies on a lot of different kinds of trees and plants.
    You connect it to your hose and use with your hose like Miracle Gro plant feeder.
    Our back yard is 1500 sq. feet so we still have enough to do the yard again in 4 weeks.
    My husband wore a surgical type mask to apply it but we haven't smelled anything since he applied it. You may want to write to e-mail "Cutters" if you need more info than stated on bottle.

• Lia_SC
    20 years ago

Wow! That sounds too good to be true! Do you know what the active ingredients are? My DH has an employee with a pesticide/herbicide license... I wonder if he knows what would have that effect?

Our yard is more like 44,000 square feet. :-/

• heidiho
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I'm sure it's got Deet in it but don't know what else. My label got wet and all stuck together. Their web site is www.cutterinsectrepellent.com
    You should be able to get more info there.
    Good luck and hope you also get "bug free".

• janh2
    20 years ago

But will it kill the earthworms???
    A friend who was in my yard today recomended Ortho Mosquito-B-Gone, and said it made the same claims, but I can't stand doing anything that will harm the earthworms. With the horrible clay soil I have to deal with, I need all the help they'll give me.

• heidiho
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I have a 1-800 # for them. Maybe you could call and ask about the earthworms.
    1-800-767-9927

• Dorie_in_Alabama
    20 years ago

The Backyard Bug spray is a broad spectrum insecticide. It is NOT a repellant. The active ingredient is a pyrethrin, which is a very effective killer of many kinds of insects and other invertebrates. I suspect that it has something in it that gives it a lasting quality, making it work for several days. It is absolutely not something that I would use, for fear of killing the numerous beneficial insects that are so important.

I promise you that the company will say that this product does not harm earthworms. If applied correctly, it may very well stay away from the soil.

Heidiho, you should call and have another label sent to you so that you can make sure that you apply it correctly. some people are extremely sensitive to pyrethrins.

• rosie
    20 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Heidiho, but, although getting rid of mosquitoes would be wonderful, I also am concerned about the ultimate price. Not just to earthworms but to us. Some time ago a nurse working in a clinic at UCLA that treats people with neurologic, autoimmune, and cancerous disorders told me she had noted that a really disproportionate number of their patients had been in the landscape maintenance business. After hearing story after dreadful story, she ended up throwing away almost all her garden poisons and now only uses very specific ones for very specific problems. And usually not then either. Neither do I. And I don't even have grandchildren around to worry about yet either.

• vicki7
    20 years ago

I am wondering if this stuff would be harmful to small dogs. I have 3 of them, but it would be wonderful to not be covered with "skeeters" every time I go out into the yard!

• Parlante
    20 years ago

I tried the Cutter's once and it kept the skeeters away for maybe a week and a half and didn't seem to bother the earthworms. I have earthworms in every spadeful of dirt in my yard. I think we are damned no matter what we do--if the skeeters bite, you might get West Nile and die, if you get rid of them with insecticide, you might kill the beneficial bugs or poison yourselves. But then the parish is blowing poison out of trucks through here every week now anyway. I tried one of the carbon monoxide type machines which helped last year, but now I can't get it to light. Does anyone know where to get mosquito netting pants? I've found the shirts and hoods in catalogs.

• ccoombs1
    20 years ago

I would be very concerned about killing off all the good bugs. I have tried to take a "hands-off" approach when dealing with pests, unless they get really bad, or threated to actually kill the plant. Seems like most problems work themselves out, given time. I DO use cutters on ME...I have no beneficials bugs on me to kill, so I don't guess it will cause me any problems!!

• Ray Scheel
    20 years ago

vicki7: Most dog flea and tick shampoos are based on pyrethins. As insecticides go, pyrethins are fairly safe, but I hate to broadcast poison like that (though I don't live right on the coast either).

• Ann_in_Houston
    20 years ago

Ever since we put in a fish pond/watergarden, we hardly have any mosquitoes. They show up for a few days when everyone else is being carried off by them, but they aren't in anywhere near the numbers that others are battling. I see enough ads for serious, high-end foggers and attractant traps that it makes me think that they are just terrible this year, but we hardly have any.
    Ann

• Micimacko
    20 years ago

Thanks Heidiho for the recommendation! That mosquito spray really helps!

• Ravensrun65
    20 years ago

I have to admit, it works pretty good, but we've had some serious rains here lately and I've had to re-apply it several times. I'm hyper-sensative to most insectacides, and if I shower right after applying it to the yard, I have no ill affects from it. We have a backyard neighbor that rarely mows his back yard, and I've gotten as many as 80+ skeeter bites in under 15 min. just walking my dogs in our backyard. We have installed a bug light, but the "Cutter" seems to help allot, with what seems like no ill affects to benificial bugs. It might also be helpful to know, we had a REALLY bad scale problem on our Marsh Grapefuit tree, and with just 2 applications of the "Cutter", ALL scale is GONE!!! I am amazed. I had been battling this scale infestation for 3 months, using Murphy's Oil Soap every 3 days, and still had scale. I give the "Cutter" a huge thumbs up on the scale problem. Now, I don't know if it's curing the hard scale on my sheff's, can't tell yet, but soft scale is irradicated!!!
    If you let it dry, about 2 hours, before you let your pets in the area, they shouldn't have any problems either. One of my dogs is allergic to the main ingredient, and she hasn't had a problem. Hope this helps clear up some questions.

• lawn4us
    20 years ago

Remember to look around the yard and empty anything that holds water, as it is the breeding ground for those pesky mosquitos. It's important to do every time it rains. Mosquitos breed pretty quickly.

• riverwoman
    20 years ago

Try a little orange plastic card with phermones on it to attach to your bug zapper. It attracts the mosquitoes to the bug zapper so they can get fried. The light doesn't attract mosquitoes, but the phermone sure does! It gets 90% of the mosquitoes in my yard, and I live near the marsh between the river and a bayou. You can get them near the bug zappers at Walmart for 3 or 4 dollars and they last 3 months.

• Violet_Z6
    20 years ago

I know this isn't mosquitoes but thought someone might find this useful:

Use Diatomaceous Earth to get rid of fleas. It is completely organic, be sure to use natural grade rather than pool grade.

Diatomaceous Earth

Diatomaceous Earth to get rid of fleas

Diatomaceous Earth: A Discussion

• Binky
    19 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. We live in mosquito haven and recently ordered mosquito proof clothing that you can wear over shorts and tee-shirts. You look like an alien, but are pretty well 100% bug bite proof. I just did a google search for mosquito proof clothing and ordered them from over stock. Pants $8 and top $12. They even suggest them for gardeners

• bedazzled
    19 years ago

just a bynote, I have found by accident that applying olive oil to my legs, arms, neck , etc. keeps them off of me. My uncle was on dialysis and was told to apply it to ease dry skin, it is naturally derived and works I assume cause of the oil slick, makes my skin nice too. some breed in grass as well as water. they are everywhere, and I am amazed at how folks did it without air conditioning..

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

I tried the Cutter product, but only around the house in the shrubbery and plants so we could sit on the porch without being eaten alive. And, IT REALLY WORKS. I did not notice it harming anything else and the dragonflies (mosquito hawks) are just as plentiful as ever.
    I believe in the South, especially in Louisiana, we need to go back to our forefathers ways with mosquito netting. I don't want a permanent screened porch so am seriously thinking of putting up "mosquito bars" for the summer months. We live on the Great River Road in Montz, LA and between the River to the South and the swamps to the north, it is Mosquitoville, U. S. A.

• BamaCottage
    19 years ago

Pyrethins are actually classified as a botanical poison and are derived from Chrysanthemum Pyrethrum flowers.
    I am not sure how safe they are for earthworms, but I think that all mums and marigolds also contain pyrethins in smaller amounts than the mum which is used to manufacture insecticides.
    Pyrethin based insecticides have been approved for use in everything from daycares to kennels to food service areas.
    It is a good idea to wear a mask when spraying it, especially if you have allergies.
    We used them a lot in the Animal Shelter where I used to work. I have a mild allergic reaction to using sprayed or fogged pyrethins, but I have the same reaction to marigolds and some mums.

Take care,
    Celia

• QueenBee1
    18 years ago

i did just a little weed control with the all season weed control and 2 of my small dogs had episodes of vomiting and the other ( a little larger) was coughing a good bit. i have tried to be very select with the chemicals. so i have decided to try to weed control as much as i can by hand and just rotate the yards to coincide with their potty goings.
    the mosquitoes: man, they are vicious! but after getting rid of excess bog and water holding places i think the problem has lessened somewhat.

• samoya
    18 years ago

I authored a webpage about how to get rid of mosquitoes. I hope it helps. I'll add the address below.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to get rid of mosquitoes

• scandia
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the info re controlling Mosquitos..I think the county is spraying for Mosquitos here...Trying to control the spread of West Nile Virus..Last year I started putting out feed to attract birds to my yard..I have added several Bird houses to get them to nest in my yard also..I swear those birds are controlling insects...I have horses who as you know attract flies...I had NO flies and NO Mosquitos last summer...Amazing!!!...And I didn't put down any insect control..The birds are eating the flies, mosquitos and their larve..

I love birds...((SMILE))

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

I urge everyone to do their own research on 'permethrin', which is the actual active ingredient in this pesticide before going out to buy some and spray it everywhere. Permethrins and pyrethrins are seriously hazardous to quite a large percentage of the population. It is a suspected carcinogen, among other sinister traits.

• michelle224
    14 years ago

Have you considered installing a bat house? I have had much success with these after reading about it 2 years ago. It reduces the mosquito population drastically. I think this is one of the safest and most economical ways to get rid of mosquitoes. No dangerous chemicals involved. I have included an informative link in case you consider trying it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosquito Control: A Bat's Natural Instinct

• polydactyly
    14 years ago

Does anyone know anything about Chrysanthemums repelling them? I know it is a less concentrated form, but maybe coupled with Citronella plants it would reduce the amount? Also, I know you can order concentrated garlic and spray your yard if you will be out there (I don't think it lasts that long)

• plan9fromposhmadison
    14 years ago

The widespread use of Insecticides and Pesticides here is the primary reason we're looking into moving to a more advanced part of the country. What scares us most are the 'misting systems' some people are having installed outside their McMansions. I'm sure the neurologists and cancer clinics are THRILLED by the prospect of all the new business the misting systems may be creating for them.

But herbicides are a big problem, too. Our moron neighbor sprayed some herbicide all around his property, three weeks ago. I had symptoms of poisoning (splitting headache and extreme thirst) within hours of his little spraying spree. The stuff still reeks. Every time this creep sprays, he spends the next week in the hospital. Cause and Effect seems to be a concept alien to a lot of people in this part of the world.

We knew the man was a fool when we moved in and saw the thatch of dead grass in our boundary fence. So when I planted our screen of Cryptomeria and climbing roses, I made sure nothing was within six feet of the fence. But The Toxic Avenger waits for really windy days to spray, and has damaged quite a few of our plantings (and killed swaths of our grass).

Pyrethrins, by the way, are mildly carcinogenic.

We're going to be bitten by mosquitoes, regardless. I'd rather be exposed to West Nile while my immune system is working (and not suppressed by insecticides).

Michelle 224, the bat houses sound great. And if the guano falls to the ground, they'll be better still. I can't imagine a better fertilizer. Now, If I could only persuade our possum to stop barfing on our patio...

• cindyrn
    14 years ago

Some of the things people get their knickers in a knot over.......

• bugbite
    14 years ago

I got the mosquito granules that you put in fish ponds that prevent the larvae mosquitoes from developing into adults. (Avalable at any big box store.) I got them for 5 cents a package at a store that was clearing them out. Didn't think I would ever use them but could not resist a bargain. :-)This year, around my yard I set up several small containers of water under cover and shaked in some of the granules . A "very nice and inviting" place for the mosquitoes to breed. Twink, twink.
    My mosquito population has been way less (almost nil) this year after I set this up, even after the massive rains we had. Not sure if this is the reason why. I do have to add water occasionally. We seem to fight them after they become adults but do nothing to slow the breeding. I realize that this will not work if you are near waterways.
    Incidentally, even though this is supposed to be safe. I placed the containers up where strays cannot drink from them.
    Bob

• bugbite
    14 years ago

That's wink, wink ;-)

• jay_shannon
    14 years ago

I have used Cutter's "Bug Free" for a couple of years. It always seemed to work well until this year. after 2 applications I was still being swarmed by the little pests! I tried a new product by Bayer called "Complete Insect Killer" and that is working well at the moment.
    I also have had battles with web worms in my Mulberry trees. Every spring I spray them down with BT. (Bacillus thuringiensis) A positive side effect of BT is significantly reduced numbers of mosquitoes in my front yard.

• yomimi
    14 years ago

Please keep in mind we had a 3 week drought of NO rain and low humidity here in Louisiana. That's the main reason why we hadn't had mosquitos. This past week we had a downpour and the misquitos were everywhere.

It may or may not be your spray but when it's dry, there's no mosquitoes.

• Ben Mason
    8 years ago

I'd like to suggest an inexpensive and effective way to get rid of those biting mosquitoes . What you do is get a small childs swimming pool or something to contain water and add a cup of diesel fuel to the water and thats it. Problem solved.

• Michael Douglas
    6 years ago

Cutter worked well until the day after it rained for about 20 minutes. Now they are back with a vengeance. I can't go in the basement or in the yard. 8 dollars blown in 20 minutes of rain. I will not be a return customer.

• calvin donald
    6 years ago

waooo...its really informative

• calvin donald
    5 years ago