Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
showrfresh

Iris help

showrfresh
16 years ago

Hello -

I inherited two iris beds when I moved into my house. One bed is in full shade and the irises never put out many blooms. The other bed is in part sun (mid-day shade, but morning and afternoon sun), and those irises tend to bloom well.

Here are some photos of the part sun bed on April 19th:

Should I move the full shade plants to a sunnier location? Also, can you guys help me ID this iris? Most of the plants in this yard seem to have come from the big box stores, so this is probably a common variety.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Comments (8)

• buford
    16 years ago

It's a bearded iris, not sure what variety. Irises like full sun, so yes, move the ones that are in shade and you will get more blooms.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

maybe William E Setchell?

Here is a link that might be useful: William E Setchell

• dottie_in_charlotte
    16 years ago

I'd wait until after the leaves have died down and the weather and ground temps are cooler. I've had better luck getting them to bloom the following spring that way. Whenever you decide to move them just create a couple inch deep scuff and (I use a spading fork) lift the corms and the surrounding dirt into the scuff so you don't disturb so many rootlets or cover the corms more than they are now.
    Iris needs its foliage to feed the corms for the following year so let the foliage die back in its own time.

• laurabs
    16 years ago

It looks like she picked pretty things and put stuff together well. I had to rip out or move nearly everything in my yard when we moved in, and then DH or I did it to myself a couple of times too. I need to move 2 trees right now and a balloon flower.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

Don't know if the foliage dies back in Mississippi:
    it stays green all year here.

They say we should move our irises in August & September here, but it's the hottest part of our year, & irises are tremendously hardy, hardier than I am, so I move them whenever I need to.

If you wait too late, moving them may interrrupt what I think of as their "revving up" phase & they may not bloom the first spring after they've been moved, but they'll do fine.

• Donna
    16 years ago

Definitely move the iris out of the shade. The more sun they get, the happier they will be. When you move them, feel free to break the rhizomes apart and only keep the young healthy ones. Discard the ones that look old, wrinkled, rotten, or that have shrivelled looking leaves on them. They will love you if you amend their new soil with some composted manure. You can buy it in bags at Lowes, etc. for less than $1.50 a bag. Pour the bag out and spread it around so that the area has about two inches of it on top. Dig, till, scuffle it into the ground, or, if the soil is in good shape, you can just leave it on top and let nature work it in gradually. When you replant the rhizones, make sure that the top of the rhizome is exposed to the sun. (Just the roots hanging from the bottom need to be actually in the soil.) Don't mulch over the rhizomes. They like a good long baking in the sun and will rot if they stay consistently wet. I mulch, but keep it pulled back from the leaves a little bit.

Ideally, you should divide and replant them now. But sylviatexas is right, you can do it anytime it's convenient for you. However, if you wait too late, they may not bloom next year.

An alternative is a method I used last year just by accident. A friend gave me a huge pile of iris roots just about this time of summer. I wanted them, but the ground wasn't ready. So I potted them up into gallon pots, one rhizome per pot. I kept them fertilized and watered until late fall when I got the bed ready, then planted them. Every last one of them bloomed this spring.

Bearded iris are a mixed blessing. Their blooms are spectacular in the spring, but their foliage usually gets pretty ratty looking in the summer. I have had my best luck with them by planting old fashioned cultivars instead of the new hybrids, and by giving them a top dressing of manure each spring. Even then, I have to groom the plants in summer. I pull off the dead leaves regularly. Along with regular watering, this usually helps them stay fairly presentable. Neglect them and they'll be a mess. Also, know that most irises need to be divided every three to five years to keep blooming and looking their best.

• murphy_zone7
    16 years ago

I would like to thank each of you who responded to this message even though I waasn't the original poster. I received some iris from a friend and wasn't sure what to do with them and of course came to the forum for help!! These posts were exactly the information I needed.
    Thank you again.
    Murphy

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

definatly move them now, the more sun the better!