Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name of plant in Charleston area

Posted by beebob1 z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 1:30

it is a cross between the yuka/aloe plant and has a throne at the tip. Some have them in pots and it gets huge. Can someone tell me the name of this plant?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name of plant in Charleston area

Did you mean to say a "thorn" at the tip? Could you be talking about the century plant, Agave parryi? See if this looks like it.
http://www.naturesongs.com/vvplants/centuryplant1.jpg

o

There is one in bloom right now at a home on Folly Rd.
If you have never seen one,(it is a rare event), then it is worth the trip. It is right across the street from the Wendys on Folly. The stem is as tall as a telephone pole and it is just beginning to turn yellow.
Very cool...

Here is a link that might be useful: Century Plant?

o

Yes thank you both so much, this was the plant I was looking for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here