Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
namastemomi

fall garden

namastemomi
14 years ago

Is anyone starting a fall vegetable garden. What things work best. I have tried cabbage and related plants but the heat makes them bolt but not in the fall yet. I have had very little luck with these in the spring - probably planting too late. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

• Donna
    14 years ago

I am thinking about fall gardens too! I have not planted one before, but I have been doing lots of reading and research. So, I will share that with you. If others have first hand experience that is different from what I plan, I hope they will share with both of us.

First, though, right now I am planting a second summer garden. I have already planted squash, beans, tomatoes, cowpeas, and pumpkins (for Halloween). We've had heavy rain the last couple of days. Once things dry out, I intend to plant some more snap beans. All these things should have plenty of time to make before our first frost which typically comes between Nov 1 to Nov. 15. I am finding it difficult to get the seeds up, except for cowpeas which just jumped out of the ground. I read last night that it helps to give them some dappled shade until they get up, so I am going to try that.

The first frost date is an important date for you to know for your area. You count back from that date the amount of time it takes for your specific crop to mature and add about two weeks. That's how you know you have time.

Okay. In late August, I will start seeds INDOORS under lights for: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and I could for onions, but I won't be. Then around October 15, I will be planting those plants out (or, of course, you can buy transplants) along with direct seeding collards, turnips, spinach, lettuce, etc. I am also planning to set out strawberry plants this fall.

I wish someone would come on here and tell us the facts of life about growing onions in the south. I keep reading about "bunching" onions, but I don't really understand what they are or what they do. I think they are grown in the fall since I am seeing sets of them at our local seed and feed.

As best I can tell, English peas and carrots are planted in very very early spring.

I hope this post helps you! It may have just raised more questions. :)

Oh yes, I live in east central Mississippi almost on a straight line with Dallas/Ft. Worth, if that helps you. And, the books I have been reading are Warm Climate Gardening by Barbara Pleasant and Gardening Southern Style by Felder Rushing. I have also done alot of research on Mississippi State University's web site.

• iris_lover
    14 years ago

Bunching onions, I believe is the same thing as multiplying onions. My hubby says they can be planted in the spring, summer or fall.

At the Fall Garden show in Gallman, MS (always in October), they always plant everything the first week of August. and everything always looks wonderful during the show. Peppers, cabbages, lettuce, eggplants, tomatoes, okra, you name it.

If you've never been, it is on a Fri and Sat. Not sure of the dates this year yet. and no admission.

We go every year and is always fun.

I will post dates when I get them.

marie

• bugtussellmom
    14 years ago

I'm also trying to figure it all out. From what I can tell, in my area, I can start lettuce now and every three weeks from now. Spinach and Turnips next week and carrots and radishes the next week. (Radish can be planted from now up until October.) Those are all by seed.

Plants that will be planted in August and September are Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage.

If you want bulb onions (the non-bunching kind) you can plant them starting October 10th and you'll have onions in February. The bunching kind (I think some folks refer to those as "green" onion) can be planted anytime between Sept and December. However, my Mom (who has experience that I don't) just told me it's okay to plant them now.

I'm just learning myself but I hope that helps. I think garlic should be planted now too.

• peterwask_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Sow True Seed in Asheville NC provides a Fall Garden Guide and chart on their website. They also carry great Garlic seed.
    http://sowtrue.com/home/fall-planting-chart-and-helpful-hints-2010/

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Garden Guide/Chart

Sponsored