Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maja127

Help...I need lots of ideas & tips. New to SW Florida

maja127
18 years ago

I never planted here in NJ, but now I have a sudden interest in gardening after seeing all the beautiful landscaping by our new home in SW Florida. I don't even know where to start except that many newcomers make the mistake of "over planting"! We are not living in Florida f/t at this point but would like to get our landscaping started so that by the time we make the move we can enjoy the landscaping. We do have someone there taking care of the property between our visits. Hope you can help with the following questions:

1. I would like to plant some fruit trees...mango, avocado, lemon & lime. Hubby says they are all too messy. True? Any recommended varieties?

2. I need privacy along the corner edge of the freshwater canal we border. Sea grapes bring back memories of trips to the beach. How large do these grow? Is it possible to keep them short and bushy?

3. We purchased a few queen palms from the builder . They are doing well, but they don't thrill me! What palms do you suggest that are clean and tolerant? I've seen palms with multiple trunks that look very pretty...what are these called?

4. Would like to plant a border around the pool cage without blocking the view of the canal. Any suggestions for very short ground covers with blossoms?

5. We planted a dwarf palm with 2 alocasia (sp?) polly. The area looks like it could use more. Should I wait and see? Not sure how much area the alocasia will fill in.

6. Are Macadamia nut trees difficult to grow?

7. I love the look of Oleander (sp?). However, I've seen it as a bush and as a tree. Are there different varieties?

8. Is it possible to grow plants in the fresh water canal by my property edge?

9. Any suggestions for nurseries in the Cape Coral area? Any suggestions for mail order nurseries?

Told you I had lots of questions! Imagine a new home with just a few plants....here's your chance to start from scratch! Need suggestions for types of plants that are easy to care for yet will give the tropical look I am looking for. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert