Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugbane

Posted by Errion none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 9:33

I am considering getting a black bugbane. Will it grow in Atlanta in a spot with dappled sunlight....some direct sun in the am with light shade from tall oaks the other part of the time? Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugbane

It should do fine as long as the drainage is good. Too much shade and the black color is not as intense, too little shade and it can get crispy with insufficient water.

o

Errion - I'm an Atlanta resident as well and I really, really want to grow bugbane. Did you ever try it? Also, I have never seen them for sale in any of the retail stores here, but I have a couple small ones i bought online that im going to plant soon. Did you find any?

Also, I called the Atlanta Botanical Gardens hotline ( great resource, and free!) and asked them and they said it will do fine so long as it doesnt get any afternoon sun, and plenty of moisture and rich soil.

Happy gardening!

o

I ordered Cimicifuga Rasmosa from a nursery in Maine!! Couldn't find it anywhere locally. Received about five rootlings in the spring and planted them in two spots near our creek (but not right besdie it) in partial shade. I was careful to water it often and though I had read that it takes a few years to establish and begin to bloom, I got one very tall, stately and elegant bloom on one of the plants last year that gets more morning than afternoon sun. I am still trying to baby it along and keep it moist iin dry periods and mulch it well but I love it and hope it stays happy. If I have more blooms this summer, I will take photos and post them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here