Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldblush

Climbing Hydrangea

oldblush
19 years ago

Just found this forum. Has anyone ever had a Climbing Hydrangea in zone 7/8, I live just on the line in Mississippi. If so what's the upside and downside of this plant?

Comments (9)

• alabama_jan
    19 years ago

I just saw my first photo of a climbing hydrangea, It was to die for. A friend of mine in Louisiana has just bought one. She is an avid gardener. I'll e-mail her and see if she can help you.

• terramadre
    19 years ago

I grow and . Both are planted against trees. Both are pretty much carefree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea Forum

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

I planted my climbing hydrangea three years ago. I have it trained to cover the pickets on a bridge. It has yet to bloom but the foliage is beautiful, hopefully it will bloom soon.

• taylo
    18 years ago

I have heard they are really beautiful and priced one at a nursery in Jackson, Ms but at 60 bucks a pop was too afraid to spend that on a first try. Does anyone know where else they can be purchased....mail order, internet?

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

i got mine at lowe's .. about $15.

• DISSmith
    17 years ago

I planted one (petiolaris) in very early spring against a wood fence in part shade. It came in a 6" pot and was about 6" tall. It has been a VERY slow starter and has now progressed about 10" up the fence. I'm told this is normal? Unless it really takes off in the next 6 weeks, I guess I'll have to wait for next summer. However, it seems very healthy, and I'm patient.

• creatrix
    17 years ago

The hydrangea sticks with 'hold-fasts', and can mark brick or wood. They will go to about 30-40' if given support. I've seen them cover the side of a two story building. Keeping them off the windows can be a monthly chore. To keep them at a certain level requires repeated trimming.

They are gorgeous in bloom. And the bark is really cool looking, at least to me.

• pfmastin
    17 years ago

Hydrangea anomala petiolaris is notoriously slow to establish...taking a few years to do so. But...it's entirely worth it.

Pam

• windeaux
    17 years ago

Hydrangea petiolaris does reasonably well in the South, but a superior vine for our heat is Schizophragma (also commonly known as climbing hydrangea). There are several varieties -- 'Moonlight' being the most popular. As someone above indicated, Decumaria is yet another vine that is sometimes referred to as a climbing hydrangea, & one that does very well in the South.

A great source for all these vines (plus others) is Wilkerson Mill Gardens near Atlanta.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilkerson Mill Gardens

Sponsored