Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Blueberries/raspberries

Posted by Keasbey Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 10:47

I've been trying to eat healthier and cleaner, and replacing junk food with delicious fruit in my diet. It has made a big change in my overall health, but I would like to include a wider variety of fruits, and berries are down-right expensive.

As such, I would like to get a small berry garden and then possibly expand it later on to include more fruits. I've looked up blueberry plants at Home Depot that already have fruit on them, are these suitable? Or should I go to a nursery?

Also, how many plants should I get in order to feed just me? I'm gonna guess just one or two of each type (blueberry/raspberry).

What other kinds of fruit do you guys personally grow that flourishes in Florida?

Thanks for all the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Blueberries/raspberries

Unless they say otherwise you need two blueberry bushes of different type/name so that they can cross-pollinate each other. Home Depot is a fine source for these plants and they usually do a pretty good job of stocking more than one kind and stocking regionally appropriate cultivars.

o
RE: Growing Blueberries/raspberries

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 16:14

The University of Florida agriculture department has a very good data base of blueberries they have researched over the years.

Blueberries take a while to get going and require very acidic soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here