Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bave_gw

What to plant to cover cedar fence

BAVE
11 years ago

We have a new construction in South Texas that requires a wall that spans 500 feet at the back of our acre lot. After pricing a cinderblock wall we decided the only reasonably priced barrier would be a cedar fence (saves enough to build a pool!).

Regardless of structure, we want to cover the fence with something that will crawl up the fence and cover it. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

Evergreen, right?
    I should think that the least aggressive vines would be a jasmine blended with perhaps bignonia. But, you're going to need an interior support of wire mesh and realize that what you plant is going to need annual trimming.

Wow, just wondering what 500 feet of cedar (open,splitrail?) fence costs nowadays?

• kaliaman
    11 years ago

bignonia is super invasive,,,its a wisteria cousin and acts much like it.

pyracantha would do well in southern texas as it tolerates heat well and has those beautiful orange berries. be advised its thorny tho

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

kaliaman is probably right about bignonia.
    My frame of reference is zone 7-8 and much different from
    South Texas.

• rosiew
    11 years ago

I haven't found bignonia (crossvine) to be invasive. You may be thinking of the vine that resembles it and is horribly invasive, Campsis radicans (trumpet vine). Love my crossvine, which blooms like mad in the spring with sporadic rebloom.

What about bouganvillea?? Here it's an annual but hopefully not in South Texas. Showy, showy, showy!

Hope you'll let us know what you plant. Good luck!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio