Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tryska

Gardenias being poisoned by Pecan tree?

tryska
12 years ago

Hi All,

I know Pecans are relatives of Black Walnut and have the same hormone (?) int hem that can stunt growth of other plants like black Walnut does. I am not sure how strong that hormone is with Pecans though. I also know that Gardenias are "high-strung".

I planted 2 August Beauty gardenias under my giant pecan tree (not sure what variety - came with the house) right next to my porch. I planted them at the end of March, and they were doing pretty good up until the last couple of weeks.

I had started off watering every day and tapered over 6 weeks so that they were getting watered once a week. (It was hote and dry for those 6 weeks). It's been raining lightly every other day or so for the last couple of weeks so I haven't given any direct water.

Last week my plants lower leaves started yellowing, and when i came back from vacation this past Friday they were looking very droopy because they needed water.

My questions is this though - is the yellowing leaves related to water, or could it be because of the pecan?

Should I move them from their current location? Or try watering them more directly, first. I have considered that perhaps they aren't getting enough water now that I am letting Mother nature take over, because they are within the pecan's dripline. But i also wonder wehter the Pecan's trying to poison them. I do love them right by the front porch though.

I have also entertained doing some companion planting, in case the pecan isn't trying to poison them, just starve them - maybe running some clover as a living mulch around the base of the tree and with the gardenias and adding soem other nutrient accumulating plants that can take care of both the pecans and gardnias needs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner