Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pyracantha confusion...

Posted by queenoftheforest 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 15:02

I'm confused by Pyracantha... what is it? I see so many that look like vines. I've seen some that look like trees, and some that look like shrubs. My mom says I HAVE TO have one... but I'm just wondering where I would place it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pyracantha confusion...

Used to be that many highway bridge overpasses were planted with pyracantha and in the past 20 years they were torn out and replaced with evergreen and ornamental grasses.
Seems I recall pyracantha being targeted as a carrier of some plant virus but I may be in error.
I used to have some but they died out back in the '90s.
They form tall canes, not really vines and they need at least twice a year pruning which isn't fun because of their thorns (firethorn is the common name). Stabbed with one of those, the injury both hurts and itches.
Make your own decisions what you need in your landscape.

o

I really like pyracantha for its long lasting show of colorful berries. It can be usefully trained to a variety of forms, depending on its location in the landscape.

Yes, it is often used as a 'feature', and will require some simple pruning once or twice a year. Gloves should be used to protect from the thorns, which can cause a reaction to sensitive individuals.

More importantly, do careful research on the status of pyracantha in your state. Some of the species are listed as invasive in some locations; you don't want to contribute to an ecological problem.

o

I have one that is against the fence and it has gotten very big, like a spreading tree, but no too tall, about 10 ft. I never prune it unless a limb dies, but it has plenty of room to grow. It is very pretty when it has white flowers, then again when the bright orange berries show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here