Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-climbing, low growing ground cover?

Posted by stang67_v8 Nac, TX Z8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 04 at 16:41

Can anyone make recommendations? The area i want to cover is a boarder around my hoouse. I have shrubs planted in the area already and I dont want the ground cover to climb into them. Right now I have english ivy planted, which i put in about 3 months ago. I thought I would be able to keep it in check, but after doing a lot of reading on it, I think I want to put the ivy in puts and put something else down as ground cover. I have a bermuda lawn and I know how hard it is to keep out of beds, so i thought a ground cover would be the easiest way to take care of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-climbing, low growing ground cover?

practically speaking, a barrier of some sort would keep most ground covers from extending into your lawn. i have some of those interlocking, pound-in scalloped plastic pieces around a bed and it works very well and was easy to install. you hardly notice it during summer.
as for plants, two that i grow are golden creeping jenny, lysimachia nummularia 'aurea'(needs some sun to maintain the good yellow color; very low growing and easy to pull out of unwanted areas) and ajuga reptans 'burgandy glow'(variegated, for shade).

o

Pachysandra is the queen of ground covers! Plant it fairly thickly, it is not very speedy about spreading, but it looks great! You are wise to get the ivy out--that stuff is horrible!

o

There are a few types of sedum that are used for a ground cover. Low growing, non invasive, and can take Texas droughts as it's a succulent.

o

Verbena is one of my favorites in full sun.

o

Ophiopogon, commonly called monkey grass (it is not Liriope), is the BEST ground cover for my money. It does equally well in full sun or dense shade, is drought resistant, is thick enough to prevent most weeds, is not a maintenance nightmare, and just plain looks nice. Do a google search for Ophiopogon to see how outstanding this ground cover is.

o

I like Ceratostigma plumbaginoides -it spreads slowly, grows in sun or shade and tolerates drought. It can be propagated by cuttings and by scattering the seeds that are produced in the fall. It is not evergreen but has beautiful, incredibly blue star-shaped flowers from mid-summer to fall. In addition, the leaves turn orange in the fall.

o

Thank you so much, Susan! I have used that plant and love it, but I never knew the botanical name for it. I call it plumbago, but that confuses people who are thinking of the large shrub.
You are right, it is tough as nails and the color is great. Cheers!

o

Helianthus debilis....beach sunflower. Very easy and not especially invasive.

E-mail me if you would like some cuttings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here